GCMS sideboard repair?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

19 posts Page 1 of 2
So we have a 5977 with a faulty sideboard, part number G3170-65015

There is a company on ebay that will repair it for around $2000. They have excellent reviews for other work, but no reviews for a sideboard repair.

Or there is a new one available for $3000.

Has anyone had an Agilent MS sideboard repaired successfully?

Thanks!
Not sure if we have had a side board repaired, but Astra Scientific has repaired other boards for us and been good to work with.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thanks, I got a pretty good offer from them for a replacement and repair.
Are there any tips to reinstalling the board?
I plan to use gloves, an anti-static strap, and power up normally after it is reinstalled.
chronomag wrote:

Prayer helps.

:lol:
"Have you tried explaining it to the rubber duck?"
chronomag wrote:
I plan to use gloves, an anti-static strap, and power up normally after it is reinstalled.

You will probably need to "DIP" the quads. That is, make adjustments to the balance between the DC/RF circuits of the two halves of the quads that are controlled by the side board. I have yet to do that on a 5977 and I believe it is a little different, and not sure even possible with the standard MassHunter software like it was on the older MSDChemstation.

If it gives problems with peak shape in Profile then you may need to do it, if not you could be ok. It is fairly simple to do, just my need to ask Agilent how it is done with the new software.
Update: the mystery continues.
Astra Scientific checked our sideboard and it tunes fine on their machine.

So the sideboard isn't the reason there is no signal.
We have a new multiplier and filaments, so what else could it be?
Have you checked the connection for the HED? The white thick wire going to the back of the board. We had one where the pin in the connector broke and we would get intermittent signal for a while then finally nothing. We had to replace the connector but it was easy, just a two piece plastic connector with o-ring seal that screws together on each side of the side plate.

Don't try testing it with a multimeter though, as the voltage is around 10,000 volts and will fry a normal meter. You can use it in Ohm or conductivity mode to make sure the wire is not broken if you put the leads on each end when disconnected from the main board.
Bad connection between the detector signal cable and the internal coaxial connector?

I have been having issues of this type recently with a 5977. Take the side panel off, disconnect the signal cable from the log amp board, spray 'canned air' all over the connector and the board, then put everything back together and see if it makes a difference.
James_Ball wrote:
Not sure if we have had a side board repaired, but Astra Scientific has repaired other boards for us and been good to work with.

Do you know if they'll repair boards from Thermo as well? I've got a mass spec that is eating PCBs :shock:
mburleson wrote:
James_Ball wrote:

Do you know if they'll repair boards from Thermo as well? I've got a mass spec that is eating PCBs :shock:

I don't know on Thermo, but send them an email and they usually respond quickly.
And then change nutritient habits of your mass spec.
dblux_ wrote:
And then change nutritient habits of your mass spec.

I needed that laugh, thanks :lol:
chronomag wrote:

When reinstalling an Agilent MS sideboard, there are a few tips and best practices to keep in mind:

Ensure that the instrument is properly powered off and unplugged before attempting any repairs or replacements.

Use an anti-static wrist strap to ground yourself and prevent the buildup of static electricity, which can damage electronic components.

Use gloves to prevent damage from oils, fingerprints, and other contaminants on your hands.

Before removing the faulty sideboard, take note of the orientation of the board, the position of any cables, and any screws or fasteners that need to be removed.

When installing the new or repaired sideboard, follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully and ensure that it is oriented correctly and securely fastened.

Check all cables and connectors to ensure that they are properly seated and securely fastened.

Once the sideboard is installed, power up the instrument according to the manufacturer's instructions and perform any necessary system checks or calibrations.

If you encounter any issues during the installation process or when powering up the instrument, consult the manufacturer's technical support or customer service team for guidance.
As a learning exercise, what were the MS symptoms that made a sideboard repair necessary ?
Hi.. I need some help.. We have an issue in CID gas controller (I think so). The CID pressure is not present and the diagnosis (API and HV) shows constant 3.3 volts for both "CID on" and "CID off" positions. This voltages were present even after dismountung the efc connector.

Instrument model: Varian 450GC-300MS

Software type: MSWS v. 7.0
19 posts Page 1 of 2