Repair Prioritization?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I deleted my previous post regarding locating parts. Instead, I’d like to ask my fellow mass spec people a question about which instrument they’d prioritize.

My institution has two LC-MS systems but I’m repairing both. One is a linear ion trap and the other is a triple quad.

The ion trap would be easier to repair, but would cost $10k easy/minimum. However, it isn’t very much in demand by faculty other than just wanting simple mass confirmation data.

The triple quad, however, has faculty wanting to use it for research and simple mass confirmation data but I have no idea what its issue is. Further, it needs an LC in the front (I have a quote but not making the purchase until it passes all diagnostics).

I’m curious which you would all prioritize?

Thanks
Not sure I can give any good advice but I think you should provide the details on what models you have both for lc and ms. Also what type of work that you need to do.
mburleson wrote:
Hi everyone,

I deleted my previous post regarding locating parts. Instead, I’d like to ask my fellow mass spec people a question about which instrument they’d prioritize.

My institution has two LC-MS systems but I’m repairing both. One is a linear ion trap and the other is a triple quad.

The ion trap would be easier to repair, but would cost $10k easy/minimum. However, it isn’t very much in demand by faculty other than just wanting simple mass confirmation data.

The triple quad, however, has faculty wanting to use it for research and simple mass confirmation data but I have no idea what its issue is. Further, it needs an LC in the front (I have a quote but not making the purchase until it passes all diagnostics).

I’m curious which you would all prioritize?

Thanks

I'd do Triple Quad. Demand drives priority. Just what I would do though.
My $0.02 worth: follow the demand.
-- Tom Jupille
LC Resources / Separation Science Associates
tjupille@lcresources.com
+ 1 (925) 297-5374
4 posts Page 1 of 1