Thermo TSQ Quantum Ultra - Help?

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I've been donated a TSQ MSD and have been working on it for some time now. However, some of my readbacks are still showing errors (below). I'll keep the post short until someone replies, but can anyone provide some insight?

Thanks!

is it correct that instrument was scanning when readbacks were taken?
is the instrument correctly identifying itself and valid tune and calibration files are loaded?

I hope the below helps to some extent...

readback 4 is for GC-EI option, so I guess it's okay

18: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.
Check the Analyzer Control PCB

19: the current is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.
Check the following: (1) Dip Q0, (2) Fuse F4 on Analyzer Control PCB, (3) Front end optics for open circuit or short, (4) Analyzer Control PCB

26, 41: the RF Voltage Amplifier PCB current associated with the +28 Vdc is
low. Check the following: (1) +33 Vdc from PS3 and associate cables. If the +33 Vdc is OK, then check the cable connected to J2 located on the RF Voltage Amplifier PCB, (2) Ribbon cable connected between P2 located on the RF Amplifier PCB and J39 and J41 located on the Analyzer Control PCB, (3) +28 Vdc test point on the RF Amplifier PCB. If the voltage is not +28 Vdc,
then replace the PCB. If the voltage is +28 Vdc and the ribbon cable is OK,
then replace the Analyzer Control PCB

28, 43: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file or
if the instrument is operating above mass 1000

33: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.

34: the current is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.
Check the following: (1) Dip Q2, (2) Fuse F5, (3) Analyzer Control PCB

36: the Q3 sine wave reference is off

67: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range of 20 to 50 °C. Check the heater circuit for the thermal hat. [your value is within spec but target value is 42°C]

68: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range
of the diode by ±0.1 ºC. Check the heater circuit for the Q1 detector diode. [must be 40°C]

69: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range
of the diode by ±0.1 ºC. Check the heater circuit for the Q2 detector diode. [if not a typo, this should be 42°C]

119, 120: not relevant if FAIMS option not installed
trozen wrote:
is it correct that instrument was scanning when readbacks were taken?
is the instrument correctly identifying itself and valid tune and calibration files are loaded?

I hope the below helps to some extent...

readback 4 is for GC-EI option, so I guess it's okay

18: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.

19: the current is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.
Check the following: (1) Dip Q0, (2) Fuse F4 on Analyzer Control PCB, (3) Front end optics for open circuit or short, (4) Analyzer Control PCB

26, 41: the RF Voltage Amplifier PCB current associated with the +28 Vdc is
low. Check the following: (1) +33 Vdc from PS3 and associate cables. If the +33 Vdc is OK, then check the cable connected to J2 located on the RF Voltage Amplifier PCB, (2) Ribbon cable connected between P2 located on the RF Amplifier PCB and J39 and J41 located on the Analyzer Control PCB, (3) +28 Vdc test point on the RF Amplifier PCB. If the voltage is not +28 Vdc,
then replace the PCB. If the voltage is +28 Vdc and the ribbon cable is OK,
then replace the Analyzer Control PCB

28, 43: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file or
if the instrument is operating above mass 1000

33: the voltage is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.

34: the current is outside of the range specified in the devices.cfg file.
Check the following: (1) Dip Q2, (2) Fuse F5, (3) Analyzer Control PCB

36: the Q3 sine wave reference is off

67: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range of 20 to 50 °C. Check the heater circuit for the thermal hat. [your value is within spec but target value is 42°C]

68: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range
of the diode by ±0.1 ºC. Check the heater circuit for the Q1 detector diode. [must be 40°C]

69: the temperature is outside of the normal operating temperature range
of the diode by ±0.1 ºC. Check the heater circuit for the Q2 detector diode. [if not a typo, this should be 42°C]

119, 120: not relevant if FAIMS option not installed

Thanks for the reply! The instrument was scanning when these were recorded, sadly.

18 & 19: I've attempted all that, and have a secondary Analyzer Control Board (I know it has an open circuit in the Q1 circuitry) but the results were the same.

26: I did all of those and it led me to the Analyzer Control Board again, but I really really really hope I don't need a third one.

28, 43: I checked that and the Analyzer Control Board is set to the lower mass setting as confirmed by an LED. I have oscilloscope data that I'll show below that I know for sure the Q3 RF Amplifier is gone, but Q1's RF Amplifier is receiving the reference RF, and outputting a very noisy signal, but Q3's is flat. The first pic is their reference input signals, and the second is their outputs extremely zoomed in.

34: Q2 won't dip. I'll check the fuse ASAP. Have you encountered the Q2 feedthrough? Does it go in in a certain way? I checked the way I have it inserted now for continuity and it was good.

36: For sure haha the RF Amplifier for Q3 is toast as can be seen above.

67: I'm not sure that I know where the thermal hat is. Can you share what they look like?

68 and 69: Same as 67, I'll have to look for those diodes. Are they on the RF Amplifier or the Analyzer Control Board?

Thanks for being willing to help! I hope my response hasn't overloaded you.
that's a tough one you have here...

I presume all ion optics is assembled and aligned properly with no shorts?
one little thing can lead to a cascade of faults

anyway, there is not much I can add, but I can send you a document which you may find helpful (if you can share your email)
trozen wrote:

anyway, there is not much I can add, but I can send you a document which you may find helpful (if you can share your email)

It's been brutal. I'm thinking I'm going to have to strip it down to its chassis and rebuild it board by board. I've had to do that with a Shimadzu GC-MS to locate the culprit. I have all of Thermo's manuals and FASTs (Fast Action Service Tips), but I'll gladly accept any document you may have. I can also share some your way if you need. How do I go about messaging you my email?
trozen wrote:

I figured out the issue that we were discussing and wanted to respond in case you ever encounter issues similar to mine. It was the System Control Board. It was dead. I replaced it with a new one from Thermo ($10k) and these issues went away.
mburleson,

happy to hear and I admire your perseverance
7 posts Page 1 of 1