HP 5970 mass spectrometer issues

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello,

I have been working on getting an HP 5970/5890 working. If anyone has any input on even how to potentially solve any of these issues, I would be extremely grateful. Mainly right now, I have a few issues. First, foreline pump oil got sucked into the turbopump (TPH-062) during a test, and although I tried cleaning it in a mixture of ethanol/methanol, it doesn't reach full velocity anymore, and on a recent test, it turned off after about 10 minutes, and won't turn back on using the front panel button. In addition, I'm not sure if the MS and GC are connecting to software. I got a copy of chemstation that reads "idle" as opposed to "offline" (I will include the configuration as an image. Also note that the HPIB address for the mass spectrometer does not change the status of chemstation). When I tried to do a run as a test, it failed stating something along the lines of "unable to communicate with MS". Finally, the heater button on the front of the MS does not work, and although I have probed the power supply & main board, I cannot figure out why. I have wired a switch that bypasses the relay to turn on the heater manually.
Apologies for the info dump, and if you can contribute anything, I would be eternally grateful.
Image of configuration: https://imgur.com/gallery/Kbz5Fd6
AdaptiveChemicalsLLC wrote:
Hello,

I have been working on getting an HP 5970/5890 working. If anyone has any input on even how to potentially solve any of these issues, I would be extremely grateful. Mainly right now, I have a few issues. First, foreline pump oil got sucked into the turbopump (TPH-062) during a test, and although I tried cleaning it in a mixture of ethanol/methanol, it doesn't reach full velocity anymore, and on a recent test, it turned off after about 10 minutes, and won't turn back on using the front panel button. In addition, I'm not sure if the MS and GC are connecting to software. I got a copy of chemstation that reads "idle" as opposed to "offline" (I will include the configuration as an image. Also note that the HPIB address for the mass spectrometer does not change the status of chemstation). When I tried to do a run as a test, it failed stating something along the lines of "unable to communicate with MS". Finally, the heater button on the front of the MS does not work, and although I have probed the power supply & main board, I cannot figure out why. I have wired a switch that bypasses the relay to turn on the heater manually.
Apologies for the info dump, and if you can contribute anything, I would be eternally grateful.
Image of configuration: https://imgur.com/gallery/Kbz5Fd6

The turbo pump has an oiled ceramic bearing at the bottom, if you cleaned with solvent and it removed the oil then it may have failed and that would cause low speed and eventually a no start condition.

Which version of chemstation are you using? Only certain versions are compatible with the 5970.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
2 posts Page 1 of 1