5973N MSD LCD screen

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I just picked my 6890N/5973N GCMS unit. When I plugged it in I noticed the LCD on the 5973 is not working. When I called the vendor he said "it didn't really matter, the screen go out and it only used for diagnostics. You will primarily control via the computer" - is this correct? Do I really need this to work if what he says is true?

Thanks,
GCMS newbie
Its true. I have a 5973 and the screen failed many years ago. Its usually not the screen, its the driver electronics in the very expensive smart card. Poor design I understand. Chemstation on your PC and the setup utility takes care of anything (e.g. setting 5973 IP addresses; updating smartcard firmware) you would be able to do with the the 5973 screen and controls.
We have four 5973 and two 5975 and I think two have working screens between them. I disconnected one when it actually began smoking lol.

Yes, they work just fine without them. Only thing I ever used them for was to monitor vacuum on the 5975 with the ion gauge, or turbo speed on startup.

The 7000MSMS and 5977 have more controls built into them, but you can still run them without even looking at the screen, so those really don't need them either.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
I'll be the third. I have 2 5973N's and neither have the LCD working. The Chemstation talks to them just fine. They generate excellent data for me. It's been like this for years. Honestly, I don't remember the last time they actually worked!
I make a correction, the 5977 no longer has the screen. I just looked at our new one, I had not even noticed there was no screen now, that is how little I pay attention to the screens. :roll:
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thanks everyone for chimming in. Glad to hear that the 5973 MSD will work just fine with a non-functional LCD.
6 posts Page 1 of 1