Reviving a dormant/in storage Agilent 1100 MSD

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
Does anybody have experience with trying to revive a Single Quad MS system (Agilent 1100 MSD) which has been in storage for about 5 years. It was stored relatively nicely in a clean dry office and all the parts are present. Has anybody tried something like that? Did it work? What are the pitfalls?

Thank you
This may be a bit off topic but as we ran into this problem, I will mention it when trying to set up an older MS
Make sure that you have a suitable computer and the software to run the system. Operating systems change over time and it can be very costly if you need to buy newer software and licenses.
Kevin.
peadar9: My boss has done these many times for clients over the past decades. He said the older single quads (large) were very reliable, but a bit outdated for some applications today. Reviving it really depends on the exact applications that it will be used for (e.g. proteins?). The HPLC part is easy and cheap, but the MS system, plus vacuum pumps and valves are easily corroded and contaminated from sitting around. You can sink a lot of money into an older system so it needs to be checked over carefully, and that will require most of it to be restarted and run. The software is another BIG issue and you will want to make sure you have all of the original licenses and software, plus a legacy computer to use it. Most of the older MSD systems can be had for free, as the software is no longer supported and parts for the early versions not available. Make sure that anyone working on the project has at least 10+ years of experience using and maintaining this system, otherwise you are wasting time and money. If you have the experienced staff to get it up and running, pay Agilent to send over one of their engineers for the day to have them go through it. Worth every dollar spent. Alternatively, just have the 1100-series HPLC (make sure it has a DAD) refurbished and add an ion trap to it.
peadar9 wrote:
Hi
Does anybody have experience with trying to revive a Single Quad MS system (Agilent 1100 MSD) which has been in storage for about 5 years. It was stored relatively nicely in a clean dry office and all the parts are present. Has anybody tried something like that? Did it work? What are the pitfalls?

Thank you

Yes, I tried doing exactly this a year or two ago, except it was an ion trap 1100, and in storage in a disused lab for about 4-5 years. I found that it came up well, except for one component - the ion vacuum gauge. The filament in these can oxidise readily after exposure to air for a significant period, and will often fry themselves immediately if a current is passed through them in the presence of air. Incidentally, if anyone has a Granville Philips ion gauge, you know where to find me... Be prepared to change this component if you power the thing up and have issues getting acceptable readbacks from the vacuum system. I was quoted a fair bit for a new equivalent model, though second hand/refurbished units would be much cheaper, if you can find a matching one.

I've also heard that turbopumps don't like being powered down for any considerable length of time, but I've used them after 2-3 years in storage with no issues, so your mileage may vary.
4 posts Page 1 of 1