PAH analysis with LC-ESI-MS/MS

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I am searching the way to analyze PAH compounds with LC-ESI-MS/MS. Is that any method that related to ESI? Because most of the papers that I read is using APPI or APCI. Thank you
ESI won't ionize PAHs very well which is why APPI is normally used. Or GC/MS.
I tried ESI and didn't get much better sensitivity than on a DAD, though you can lose some of the interfering background. GCMS in SIM mode or GCMSMS are the way to go for PAH.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
HPLC/FLD forgotten by all posters ?
As an alternative, you can try post-column addition of a solution of a metal salt.
I have used AgBF4 in MeCN to detect Vit. D3 and esters.

Regards,
JMB
dblux_ wrote:
HPLC/FLD forgotten by all posters ?

I have ran samples with FLD/DAD in tandem, and it is great and super sensitive, but only works for clean samples. If the sample is a dirty soil, good luck finding the PAH from the other junk.

FLD/DAD for drinking water and clean well or waste water, but GCMS for the dirty samples.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
6 posts Page 1 of 1