Dipping the "coil" on Sciex 6500 MS

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Can someone explain to me what dipping the coil means? Do you want to minimize or maximize the voltage? I'm doing peptide work and working on Sciex 6500, we are having issues resolving mass >2K Da.
isuphysics wrote:
Can someone explain to me what dipping the coil means? Do you want to minimize or maximize the voltage? I'm doing peptide work and working on Sciex 6500, we are having issues resolving mass >2K Da.

I have not done this on the Sciex, but on Agilent you adjust to the lowest voltage at each mass range used. It is in a sense reducing the RF feedback in the circuit similar to tuning a radio antenna. If it lists a lower limit on the specs then you need it to fall between the limits.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Thank you.
3 posts Page 1 of 1