Feedbk API4000 capable? Cannabis Pesticides, CA/OR

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
We are getting ready to hookup an API4000 to test its limit and determine if it is suitable to meet CA cannabis pesticides limit of 10 ppb on the lowest analytes, assuming a 10x dilution factor. (BTW, this is not our primary LCMSMS, it will be another 6+ months before we order a Sciex6500) But this 4000 is already paid for, we can use it to learn the software, do method development studies, etc.) And if it works out, it could possible be a back up instrument. I am asking for feedback as to whether anybody out there is using this particular instrument in OR or CA to test pesticides in cannabis. I know OR cannabis pesticides list has higher action levels than CA. Bottom line is, if the API4000 does not meet CA's limits, we may not want to waste a lot of time setting it up. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. BTW, as soon as the unit is installed, we plan on buying SCIEX's vMethod on cannabis pesticies. So another reason not to move forward if the consensus is that it may not achieve the limits needed. Thank you in advance for any shared comments/opinions......
It may be possible. I was doing the same thing with an API3200 and had sensitivity for all but a few analytes, the API4000 is at least 4x more sensitive I believe. You will need to do some cleanup of the samples. I was using the GAC columns from Restek which helped reduce the background quite a bit. When you put the matrix in there, that is when you will know if you have the sensitivity required, because it is easy to see the levels needed when the matrix is not present, even at 10x dilution levels, but the matrix can make it difficult to see them even above the limits.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball,

Thx for sharing that information. This is encouraging. Once I get the API up and running first order of business will be to do matrix effect studies - eg blank recoveries, pre-extraction spikes on the various matrices and post-extraction spikes on the same. And on top of that, will be experimenting with various types of clean up protocols, including quechers. It will be a long study, lots of data to collect.
-zwitterion+ wrote:
James_Ball,

Thx for sharing that information. This is encouraging. Once I get the API up and running first order of business will be to do matrix effect studies - eg blank recoveries, pre-extraction spikes on the various matrices and post-extraction spikes on the same. And on top of that, will be experimenting with various types of clean up protocols, including quechers. It will be a long study, lots of data to collect.

Restek has a lot of write ups on the use of quechers and cleanup for Hemp/Cannabis work. That is what I based most of mine on.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
4 posts Page 1 of 1