GC-MS CONNECTION PROBLEM

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, I am having a problem with a 5973ms and 6890gc, I cannot see the instruments in the visa assistant when both are connected with the hpib cable, if I disconnect the 6890 gc then the 5973N appears in the visa assistant, when I connect the Another cable, the connection is cut and I don't see either one. I tested the cables and changed the communication board of the 5973n and 82350b of the PC, is there any chance to test the main board of the 6890 gc to see if there is any short circuit in the communication port? the 6890 gc works fine. Even when the 6890gc is off but the cable is still connected, I can't see either instrument, I have to disconnect the 6890 to see the 5973n in the visa assistant

I appreciate any help thanks
I'd suspect an issue with the comm board in the 6890.

With that said, double check to make sure you don't have an address conflict. The normal settings are for the GC to be address 8 and the MS 20, but this can be changed and often is-I've done it myself when, for example, running multiple instruments from one computer. Normally too the card is address 30, and I wonder if someone set the GC there which is why it kills everything.

The address is set by way of a small block of switches. The switches will be numbered 1,2,4,8, and 16, and each has an "on" and "off" position. The HPIB address is the sum of all of the "on" switches.
Sorry, I'm a bit outdated(read wrong) on the above information. I only have a passing familiarity with the 6890(I mostly "bracket" it with the 5890 and 7820, although I'll be spending a lot of time with one in the next few months).

In any case, reading Agilent's documentation, the 6890 HPIB address is set from the front panel, not blocks on the mainboard.

Also-and I did know this-the interface card HPIB address is set from the IOConfig software. Most of the guidelines tell you to set it to 30 so that it's well out of the way of anything you're likely to use.

Just, again, make sure the 6890 isn't set to 30 or the same address as the card or MS.

Since you're getting com with just the MS connected, when you probe the bus from the VISA tool, it should spit back the address of the MS in the found devices.
well, the ms address is 28 and gc 16, what happens is that when i connect the gc cable over the ms, it cuts the pc-ms connection even when the gc is off and when i disconnected it show the ms again in the visa assistant
What happens when you just connect the GC without the MS?
nothing happened, the pc does not see the gc when i connected directly, i suspect there is a short circuit or something similar in the main board of the gc, all these problems occur when a power outage occurs, after that time neither ms nor gc can connect to the pc, i changed the ms communication board and now it works, but i think i have to do the same with the gc
If you have to change them anyway, it might be worthwhile to hunt down the ethernet cards for both. The 5973 install isn't as neat as the 6890(without the complete Agilent kit) but can be done with a little dremel work.
benhutcherson wrote:
If you have to change them anyway, it might be worthwhile to hunt down the ethernet cards for both. The 5973 install isn't as neat as the 6890(without the complete Agilent kit) but can be done with a little dremel work.

I would have thought a 5973N would already have the ethernet connection installed? I wonder if it is that model, if someone already down graded it to HPIB.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
James_Ball wrote:
benhutcherson wrote:

I would have thought a 5973N would already have the ethernet connection installed? I wonder if it is that model, if someone already down graded it to HPIB.

Ahh, you're right. I thought the "N" stood for network, and somehow overlooked it.
Many GC problems can be prevented if the column is properly installed and GC is maintained routinely. For example, replacing septa or liner at regular intervals and keeping the injector and detector clean and well-maintained shoud solve many problems Upsers
10 posts Page 1 of 1