Thermo Vanquish Core/ISQ-EC vs Agilent 1260/MSD iQ

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

We're in the process of purchasing a new UPLC/MS system, and I'd really appreciate some feedback from anyone who has experience with kit from either of the two vendors. Our two choices are:

- Thermo Vanquish Core/ISQ-EC with Chromeleon 7.2
or
- Agilent 1260 Infinity II Prime/MSD iQ with Openlabs CDS

Both HPLC's are similarly spec'd and priced, with the principal difference being the pump (Vanquish binary/700 bar; 1260: quaternary 800 bar).

Both mass detectors have similar performance specifications, with the ISQ having a HESI source, the iQ an ESI source. The footprint for the iQ is much smaller, has a smaller rough pump, lower gas flow requirements. The ISQ appears to be an evolution of the MSQ+. Greater mass range for the iQ, slightly slower scan speed. Mass stability is better for the ISQ over the iQ (0.1 Da over 48 hours vs 12 hours for the iQ). Sensitivity is comparable.

Really interested in hearing peoples experiences as to the robustness of the two systems, technical support etc.

Note that we currently use several Summit systems (DAD and ELSD) and an Agilent 1100 (VWD/FLD). I've come from an Agilent ecosystem and have always been impressed as to their reliability, though the iQ is new and a bit of an unknown. Whilst of a similar vintage to the 1100, the Summit systems have caused me no end of problems. Our intended use is primarily for high throughput analysis of chemical markers in honey, though we'll look to swing the analytical hammer at whatever we can.

Thanks, Matt
We have mostly Agilent with one Thermo HPLC and we don't have any of the OpenLab software, but I can say that the Agilent Chemstation and MassHunter have both been easier to work with than Chromeleon. Maybe because I am used to Agilent, but Chromeleon just seem confusing to me.

If the two systems are similar in specs I would suggest getting some hands on with both data systems and see what you like better. To me the data system is half the instrument and the part you deal with every day.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your comments regarding the software. I have also found Chemstation intuitive and easy to use, though I do like the extended reporting options available in Chromeleon.

It looks like we're opting for the Agilent system....better the devil you know than the devil you don't. I've always been happy with their after sales support and their instruments in general, where Thermo is an unknown in that regard where their newer stuff is concerned.

Thanks again, Matt
3 posts Page 1 of 1