Varian/Bruker 320 MS last chance

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

20 posts Page 1 of 2
I have a Varian 320MS that was struck dead by a power spike. I have already fixed blown components on the pump controller and power supply modules, and replaced the whole power supply board at the back of the instrument. The problem persists though; a readout of 0C on the manifold that stops the whole thing dead in its tracks. All other readouts are sensible, and it pumps down. I have updated the software to go with the new power board.

Plainly there is damage somewhere other than the power board, power module or pump controller. The most likely place is the huge RF board on the right hand side but there are a couple of smaller boards tucked away. Bruker (who took over from Varian, via Agilent) has neither spares nor expertise in troubleshooting.

Is there anyone out there who can assist with troubleshooting to locate the site of the problem please - there are several LEDs of various colours that presumably indicate operation or otherwise, and a selection of voltage tap points at various places. If I can get it down to specific components then a repair may be possible.

Otherwise I have to trash it.

Peter
Peter Apps
Whats your email address? I have a bunch of information I can pass along that may be of use to you.
Great, thank you. peterjapps@gmail.com

Peter
Peter Apps
Hi Peter, sent you what I have.
The manifold temperature is read by a sensor on the RF board, it could have gone bad. I must admit I haven't ever had a damaged temp sensor before, but it is rather delicate, so it might have got damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.atlas-labservices.com
MJD wrote:
The manifold temperature is read by a sensor on the RF board, it could have gone bad. I must admit I haven't ever had a damaged temp sensor before, but it is rather delicate, so it might have got damaged.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not to hijack but since you seem to have a lot of experience with these?

Do you have any experience with removing/servicing the late design EI/CI source where the hexapoles(as fitted to the Bruker 320) are in a metal fixture as opposed to the plastic block of the 1200 and earlier 300s? My Varian 300 has this type of source, and I can't find anything on it or figure out how to get it out(I need to re-attach the CI line, but can't get to it with the source in the instrument).
Hi Ben

Yes it is quite simple. 1st You need to pull the transferline away from the source. Then there are 2 haxagonal screws that hold the source into the instrument at the front (you need to remove the little plastic cover to see them. There are also 2 cables you need to remove.

Then the whole source comes out toward you when you pull it, all together including the hexapole and the tube.

Be carefull when you put it back in, you have to make sure that the contact on lens 4 lines up and goes into the source, there is a gold flat screw on the top left had side of the manifold that acts as a guide as you reinsert the whole thing, it is difficult to mistake. Sometimes you have to wiggle it a little to find the position.

I hope that is clear...in my head it is, but a little bit more difficult to explain in writing.

www.atlas-labdservices.com
Thanks a bunch! I won't have time to mess with it today, but I've seen those hex head screws and was afraid to mess with them.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow or Wednesday.
MJD wrote:

Thanks. Is there a way to confirm sensor operation ? What kind of sensor is it ? Pt100, thermocouple ? Is it the short cylinder screwed into the underside of the manifold on the right towards the back ?. There is a surface mount thermocouple just above the fan on the left, but that has no effect on the readout.

Peter
Peter Apps
Hi, I wasn't too sure what type of sensor it is to be honest, but I have an old board and so I checked. It was difficult to see the model written on it but it looks to me to be a AD590jh.

You will see it on the back of the RF board next to the RF generators (the ones on the right hand side as you are looking at them, the bigger ones of the two sets). It is slightly on the left of the generators more or less in the middle of them.

You should be able to test it if it is working or not.

Let us know, I would be interested if it is faulty.
What I have is this, whihc scres into a threaded hole on the underside of the manifold, close to the large gold aluminium block on the right hand side towards the back. The two black leads run to J 15 Man Htr on the power board at the back of the instrument. Resistance between the terminals is 2 ohm at room temperature.

Peter Apps
Image posting is not working. Can an expert advise ?

Peter
Peter Apps
Peter Apps wrote:
Image posting is not working. Can an expert advise ?

Peter

Not an expert but just wanted to do you a favour :-)

That's spooky - how can you post my picture when I can't ? Anyway, it turns out that what I have there is an over=temperature cutout switch from Fenwal. I confirmed that it goes from closed to open circuit when blasted with a hot air gun (NOT in situ), so it is not the sensor that gives actual temperature readouts. The search goes on.

Peter
Peter Apps
MJD wrote:
Hi, I wasn't too sure what type of sensor it is to be honest, but I have an old board and so I checked. It was difficult to see the model written on it but it looks to me to be a AD590jh.

You will see it on the back of the RF board next to the RF generators (the ones on the right hand side as you are looking at them, the bigger ones of the two sets). It is slightly on the left of the generators more or less in the middle of them.

You should be able to test it if it is working or not.

Let us know, I would be interested if it is faulty.

Thanks,

This is what Google gives for that code. https://www.reichelt.com/de/en/temperat ... =3824&&r=1

Is that right ? - I don't see anything like that anywhwre on the RF board.

Wouldn't the sensor be on the manifold itself, rather than on the board ?

Peter
Peter Apps
20 posts Page 1 of 2