E2M2 making intermittent grindng noise

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
The Foreline pump (E2M2) is working fine but intermittantly it makes a very loud grinding noise that seems to be coming from the fan area that goes away after a few seconds. It sounds like a bearing is failing. It is very loud and driving me crazy. I am looking at the exploded parts diagram but can't figure out what part needs to be replaced and how to attack it.

I checked and replaced the oil it looked fine, a bit yellow but nothing suspended in it.
I've determined it lost the headless bolt from the motor coupling and fan assembly. Trying to figure out how to get it back.
Mine which was old back in 2001 began making a periodic grinding noise and it turned out to be the motor bearings. They were letting the plastic fan on the coupler grind against the case. I got the motor rebuilt and that took care of it.
I think I fixed it. I took the entire coupler/fan off, cleaned the pad, got some silicone down the motor shaft and put it back together. It has been fine since. I think some gritty oil got in there. It leaks a very minute amount from the oil tank gasket.

I had an old E2M1.5 lying around that I took apart. Not as bad to service as I thought. The exploded parts diagram looked scary but there were only a handful of really lose parts when I took apart the modules.
Glad you got it working well again. I have yet to do anything to an E2M2 except change oil even on the ones that are 30 years old and they only weep a few drops per month. I have an RV5 that is a few years old and leaks like the Titanic, gonna try to replace the tank seal on it soon, wish me luck.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
5 posts Page 1 of 1