Limit of Detection and Extrapolation

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello!

I am working on calculating the limits of detection for a variety of organic pollutants using GC-MS. I am aware that there are several different techniques, and the lab I am working with has traditionally used the method that constructs a calibration curve with spiked samples and uses this equation:

LOD = 3.3 x (Std. error of Y/slope)

If the minimum spiked value used in the calibration curve is 0.5 ng/uL, will I need to extrapolate the linear regression line to calculate the std. error of the Y-intercept?

Additionally, it has been very difficult to find cited references using this method although I believed it was widely used. Are there any recommendations of published literature that can help me better understand the reasoning behind this method? Or, does anyone happen to know where or when this method originated?

Thank you!
I have seen a few methods that estimate it but often find them lacking. To be a true detection the level needs to give peak with a signal to noise of at least 3, but 5 would be more confident for me.

If you do the calculation then spike a standard at that level does it give a peak that can be called a valid peak?

The other problem with the calculated version is, if you calibrate to 5ppm and calculate the LOD to be 1ppm, but later the response for a 5ppm standard is 1/2 what it was initially, is the LOD still 1ppm or should it be increased to 2ppm?

I know the environmental drinking water methods from EPA are moving away from LOD and are beginning to use the MRL(minimum reporting level) which has to be verified at the beginning of each run by injecting a standard at that level and it has to quantify within +/_50% to pass.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Estimate the detection limit as 3 times the standard deviation of 7 blanks.

MDL Basics
Procedures to Improve the MDL
Choosing the proper spike level !
1.) Prepare standard 2.5 to 5 times the estimated
detection limit. (MDL is a function of the spike
concentration!)
2.) Analyze at least seven (7) samples at the spike
level, calculate the MDL
3.) Tentitively Accept the MDL if the calculated value
is less than the spiked value.
4.) Reprepare at a lower level and rerun the seven
set series if spike level is greater than 5
times the calculated MDL level
Calculated MDL < Spike Level < 5 x Calculated MDL

This link should also be useful... They made it a little complicated when they revised it.
40 CFR Part 136 Appendix B 'Definition and Procedure for the Determination of the Method Detection Limit'
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title40/40cfr136_main_02.tpl
If anyone's reading this, there are some good references on it. LC-GC did a very good one, Feb 2009 22:82-85, probably a Dolan article. There are also some more hairy things like Epshtein's Pharmaceutical Chemistry J. 38:212-225.

To my mind, it is totally logical to use the s.d. of the calibration curve to estimate the LOQ (not LOD) because what you're interested in is the lowest level at which you can report a value with equal-to-or-better-than a certain precision. So the important thing is the precision of the measurements at that point.

This also makes it clear that the s.d. at the y-axis is irrelevant. What you need is the s.d. at the point where you're worried about measurement reliability (i.e. the LOQ). It's not really possible to quote a single s.d. for a line, because, assuming linearity, the slope and the intercept might have different errors (which is the same as saying that the error at x=1 may be different to the error at x=10). Some statistician will have to correct me, but I think the s.d. of the curve, as produced by packages, assumes the line moves up and down while retaining the same slope.

But basically, the key point is, you need to measure your LOQ, if you use the calibration curve method, by using a calibration curve around the expected LOQ. It doesn't work if you use values a long way away and extrapolate. In this case, your actual s.d. where it matters is likely to be wrong, so the calculated LOQ will be wrong.

Now, to apply it to the LOD. The thinking here is more woolly, because really you're now calculating an LOD based on the precision with which a peak's area can be measured. So the assumption is, noise makes a peak hard to recognize, and noise makes a peak's area unreliable. Therefore the unreliability of the peak's area (s.d. of the calibration curve at this point) is a measure of the noise which in turn is a measure of whether I'm likely to recognize this as a peak or not.

The logical way to consider whether you have a peak (LOD) is indeed to look at S/N ratio, because you're asking the question: do we have sufficient deviation from the expected background for me to believe that something has happened here that is not background? But there are caveats (see below).

The problem is that people then calculate the LOQ from the same S/N ratio as they used for the LOD by using a different factor. It's a calculation that's actually quite hard to justify. But it also has a side-effect of establishing a relationship (a fixed multiplication factor) between the LOD and the LOQ, which encourages those who've got a rational way to calculate their LOQ, to derive the LOD in the same way, using the factor...

But, the caveat on S/N ratio, and this is a serious caveat that really messes up use of S/N ratio, especially for LOQ. There is a real problem where a detector has a signal threshold below which it reads zero. This will often happen in MS software, which may ignore signals less than a threshold because it believes them to be meaningless noise (and therefore file-size bloat). It can also happen physically in some detectors. Whatever the reason, it can crop up in MRMs, for example, where there's a real risk that a peak that is actually very poorly reproducible (+/- 200% errors) nevertheless has an infinite S/N ratio because there is absolutely no background signal whatsoever within 20 peak-widths either way! In this situation, it's difficult to know how to assess the LOD (because any peak, even one produced by a size of injection that would only be detected one in ten runs, will produce an infinite S/N ratio). And it's obviously completely impossible to calculate a LOQ.

The bottom line on LODs is that no matter how you choose to measure them, from the various methods available, you must, must, must go back and make a few injections at the LOD and check that it's really realistic. That's the proof.
James_Ball wrote:
I have seen a few methods that estimate it but often find them lacking. To be a true detection the level needs to give peak with a signal to noise of at least 3, but 5 would be more confident for me.

If you do the calculation then spike a standard at that level does it give a peak that can be called a valid peak?

The other problem with the calculated version is, if you calibrate to 5ppm and calculate the LOD to be 1ppm, but later the response for a 5ppm standard is 1/2 what it was initially, is the LOD still 1ppm or should it be increased to 2ppm?

I know the environmental drinking water methods from EPA are moving away from LOD and are beginning to use the MRL(minimum reporting level) which has to be verified at the beginning of each run by injecting a standard at that level and it has to quantify within +/_50% to pass.

I prefer the 40CFR 136 Appendix B but I usually take a 20uL aliquot of my three 200 ppm 8260 calibration standards and dilute them 100X in methanol in a VICI vial so that 50uL is 20 ppb, 5 uL is 2 ppb, and 1uL is 0.4 ppb in a 5 mL water sample. I run one or more each run to show RDL and use the accumulation of them all to calculate MDL.
5 posts Page 1 of 1