Interesting experiment with Nitrogen Carrier

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I decided to revisit Nitrogen carrier in GC/MS since the Helium prices are rising quite quickly now.

I came across an interesting problem. Scanning from 35m/z to 550m/z for normal Semivolatile analysis I have a major background interference of 42m/z. I have tried everything to figure out what that might be, and the only thing I have come up with is N3. Is that even possible?
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Why not?
Presumably, can get scheme below if electron energy 70 eV is above IP of nitrogen.

N2 + e => N2+. and 2e

N2+. + N2 ==> N3+ + N.

N. + N. ==> N2

Also, do you see any [M + N3]+ type adducts?

Regards,
JMB
JMB wrote:
Why not?
Presumably, can get scheme below if electron energy 70 eV is above IP of nitrogen.

N2 + e => N2+. and 2e

N2+. + N2 ==> N3+ + N.

N. + N. ==> N2

Also, do you see any [M + N3]+ type adducts?

Regards,
JMB

Haven't looked for any above that yet, and had to switch back to Helium for normal samples, but should switch back soon for more testing.

The example I found had double bonds between the nitrogens or a double bond and two single bonds to the third in a cyclic arrangement. It has been found as a product within a reaction but in a vacuum with high energy electrons flying around who knows what crazy things can happen. Just thought it was odd that Shimadzu didn't mention it in their presentation I found online and supposedly they were scanning down to m/z 35.

The chromatography actually looks pretty good though you have to keep the flow very slow.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
3 posts Page 1 of 1