ion pairing agent in the sample diluent

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I just came across this topic and thought it could make an interesting discussion. Have some of you tried ion pairing agents not in the mobile phase but in the sample to increase retention times of polar molecules in RP-LC(-MS) without compromising MS detection?

http://www.chromatographyonline.com/new ... -reagent-0
Hm, I'll keep an open mind, but I'll admit I'm starting with an element of suspicion about how easy it will be to set up new methods using this. I'm worried because I don't understand properly how it works.
From the column's perspective, the analyte is badly retained, the IP reagent strongly retained, so if the two are exactly co-injected, the analyte ought to whizz off down the column and never meet the IP reagent. I think this is what's happening in fig 2a and 2b. In order to be retained, the analyte has to be in the same place as the IP reagent, which means we have to get IP reagent onto the column as fast or faster than the analyte. Perhaps it happens by overloading the column with IP reagent, so there's a front of IP reagent moving down the column at the speed of the solvent front, smearing IP reagent onto the column a bit like a knife smears peanut butter onto a slice of bread? This would contain a region of column that would tend to slow down the analyte.
The difficulty is in fig 2d onwards, where increasing dosage of IP reagent doesn't affect the retention time once a threshold has been reached. The peanut-butter-smear model suggests that there would be a band of column doing all the retention, and the longer the band, the longer the retention time, up to the stage where the column is saturated start to finish, and excess IP reagent starts to elute off the end with the solvent front - but we know they never reached this point because they were monitoring IP reagent too.
I worry a little because if there is this smear, then given that IP reagent moves only slowly down the column, while analyte moves much faster, there is a risk that any analyte peak that gets ahead could encounter the front of the wave of IP reagent, and suddenly whizz off. Perhaps this explains the broadening in Fig 2c?
But because of this, I'd like to see proof that no analyte managed to escape. I can imagine a situation where the bulk of the peak behaves itself, but a portion manages to get lost either by hitting the column early enough that it never saw any IP reagent, or by being so far on in the smear that it escapes early. On the good side, I can't see any obvious fronting, or an injection peak. On the bad side, I can't help noticing that in fig 4, the peaks in the presence of IP reagent look a bit smaller than those without; dark blue and purple are, if anything, narrower when longer-retained by IP reagent, and they're half the height. Red is less clear, it's the same height and I can't judge its width. Most things ionize better if they're in higher organic concentration, not worse. Of course ion pair reagents decrease ionization, but the IP reagent isn't supposed to be eluting as early as the peaks. Or does some creep off throughout the runs, just the bulk of it coming out in the wash?
Might work, but I suspect the does of IP reagent necessary (if the smear-idea has any truth) will vary between columns (obviously) and possibly depend on the effectiveness of mixing and diffusion between the autosampler and the head of the column, as well as on flow-rate, and it may be a balancing act between getting enough to achieve retention, and not so much that it starts to leak before the wash. I'd love to know how much safety-room there is between these limits. It'd be good to know how reproducible it is, both RT between runs on the same system, between days on the same system, and between different labs... interesting idea that I'll watch, but won't try out until I've seen someone else get results from it, without contaminating their MS! (I'm a coward!)
Interesting link, thanks Gaetan.
I tried heptafluorobutyric acid at 0.01-0.05%

It does work, and my early eluters (e.g. clenbuterol, fentanyl derivatives) demonstrated a significant improvement in terms of peak shape and retention. For some of them, a somewhat stronger ionization suppression was noted but I cannot tell whether it is because of the IP reagent itself or matrix effects being different at other RT.

I would have kept it in my sample diluent but due to overall complexity of the method (100+ analytes with polarity switching), the adverse effect on negative ESI sensitivity outweighed the benefit of better chromatography so I abandoned it.

But I encourage you to try if negative mode is not a concern.
Thanks to both for your comments. I found another ref which might give some hints to some of the questions you posed:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3217307420

I also do not understand exactly how it works. My basic understanding is that the column head gets saturated with the IP agent, so the ion pair formed will stick to it until the mobile phase gets strong enough to elute the ion pair first, and then the IP agent itself. In the paper above, they convincingly show that using the IP agent only in the sample increases retention, but not to the same extent as when it is added to the mobile phase as well. And that sensitivity is decreased because of the IP agent.
Years ago I read that the Ion Paring Agent attached itself to the stationary phase of the column essentially converting C18 into an Ion Chromatography phase for example, which was why it was used in the mobile phase. Of course that was 20+ years ago so maybe it is better understood now.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
why can't we just assume that a negatively charged IP reagent associates with a protonated base in solution and they are kept together by electrostatic forces?

then this associate, which is now more hydrophobic due to lack of apparent charge, passes through the column as your new "analyte" until electrospray ionization breaks it down into original counterparts

(this is about an IP reagent added to sample diluent, not mobile phase)
I also thought about this possibility, but then why would retention still increase when the IP is added to the mobile phase? Maybe there is a combination of both phenomena.
I guess, even when added to mobile phase, there are always excess IP molecules, which just travel through the column unretained and are able to make an ion pair at the instant of injection.
remember these people were monitoring the IP reagent as well as the analyte, and when they injected IP reagent in the sample, they found that the analyte arrived first, the IP reagent after. That means that the two were not bound electrostatically all the way.
Also, if they were bound, then unless that electrostatic interaction is much stronger than the normal interactions between ions and counter-ions, you'd get the peak-broadening effects that are occasionally seen in Hilic methods, where sometimes it is indeed possible to have ionic interactions between analyte and counter-ion that don't equilibrate fast compared to the elution time.
I find the idea of the column head getting filled with IP reagent more convincing than anything else so far, but it sounds a bit magic!
And yes, for future readers who don't already know, the critical words in the post about heptafluorobutyric acid are "... if negative mode is not a concern." These fluorinated acids ionize very, very strongly in negative mode, and are very, very sticky. If you use them for a method (which will obviously be in positive mode) you will not be able to use your instrument in negative mode without spending many days cleaning every part of the LC and spray chamber, and even then, you will probably see a large background ion for the IP reagent in negative mode for many months. I did it once, and the advice I got (from this site) ranged from dire cleaning regimes to buy a new MS... That said, IP reagents can give gorgeous chromatography!
9 posts Page 1 of 1