Agilent ICP MS 7500 Error Number 1152

Discussions about GC-MS, LC-MS, LC-FTIR, and other "coupled" analytical techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Our ICP MS 7500 has been having higher pumping noise, then during the corvit 19 school shutdown, the pump quit working. If I start the pump in the shutdown mode, it will run for about 30s , then the pump will be shut down. Initially I thought it was the pump issue, I changed out the pump fluid, it was the same. Then I checked the voltage and saw the voltage was cut after about 30s so it was not the pump issue. Then I found the error message #1152, the backing solenoid valve was not open.

Go into the vacuum control, and turn on the backing valve, I could clearly hear the click, the input side showed that backing valve error was 0, but the I/F valve was 1. When I click the I/F valve on the output side, there is no response.

I called Agilent support. They do not suggest we do the diagnostics or replacement of the parts, they would send in the service person, it is quite expensive and we do not have funding for that.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Do you know exactly those valves are located? Agilent said either the backing valve or the i/o board has problem. I think it is the I/F valve that has a problem and I would like to have a check.

my email is zhensr@gmail.com. If anyone could help me, drop me an email and we could chat offline.
zhensr wrote:
Hi,
Our ICP MS 7500 has been having higher pumping noise, then during the corvit 19 school shutdown, the pump quit working. If I start the pump in the shutdown mode, it will run for about 30s , then the pump will be shut down. Initially I thought it was the pump issue, I changed out the pump fluid, it was the same. Then I checked the voltage and saw the voltage was cut after about 30s so it was not the pump issue. Then I found the error message #1152, the backing solenoid valve was not open.

Go into the vacuum control, and turn on the backing valve, I could clearly hear the click, the input side showed that backing valve error was 0, but the I/F valve was 1. When I click the I/F valve on the output side, there is no response.

I called Agilent support. They do not suggest we do the diagnostics or replacement of the parts, they would send in the service person, it is quite expensive and we do not have funding for that.

Does anyone have experience with this problem? Do you know exactly those valves are located? Agilent said either the backing valve or the i/o board has problem. I think it is the I/F valve that has a problem and I would like to have a check.

my email is zhensr@gmail.com. If anyone could help me, drop me an email and we could chat offline.

Sometimes if those pumps are a little dirty and they have been shut down for a few days it takes a lot of tries to get them spinning again. Is the pump actually spinning and beginning to pump down, or does it just hum and stop? There is a thermal breaker in the pump and also at the back of the instrument, if it is tripping it could be the pump is drawing too much current. You could try warming the pump with a heat lamp or heating pad and see if that gets it started.

The I/F valve is I believe the gate valve behind the outer lenses, that should not open unless the system pulls enough vacuum to enter standby mode, in shutdown mode it should not open at all, and normally it doesn't open until the plasma is lit so it may not even open manually with the plasma off.

The errors can sometimes be quite generic so if the vacuum doesn't come on then it would also cause an error with the backing valve not opening, need to make sure the pump is spinning and getting up to speed first.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
I have a PE Elan 6000. I had a similar problem because the sensor on the gate behind the front sample cone was not detecting open and close properly. So the gate was moving but the sensor did not signal. For my case it was solved by putting in a new sensor.
LALman wrote:
I have a PE Elan 6000. I had a similar problem because the sensor on the gate behind the front sample cone was not detecting open and close properly. So the gate was moving but the sensor did not signal. For my case it was solved by putting in a new sensor.

@LALman
LALman, are you still running your Elan? Are you still in Colorado?
I would send a private message but this website prevents such messages.
Pete
Good talking to you. I will be in touch via E-mail.
PeteCadmus wrote:
LALman wrote:

@LALman
LALman, are you still running your Elan? Are you still in Colorado?
I would send a private message but this website prevents such messages.
Pete

@PeteCadmus
Good talking to you. I will be in touch via E-mail.
6 posts Page 1 of 1