AGILENT 6890/5973N Initialization Error

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello all! I attempting to upgrade my ChemStation software to a Windows 10 machine for my Agilent 6890/5973N GCMS system. The version is:

MSD Chemstation E.02.02.1431

I can get it to recognize both the GC and the MSD just fine. However, I keep running into an initialization error upon Chemstation startup that does not allow me to continue. The error is as follows:

Sat Oct 12 20:15:57 2019
App: msinsctl.exe, Method: DEFAULT.M, RunType: Sampl, Vial: 1
DataFile: C:\msdchem\1\DATA\GCMS_001.D
Macro: EMSSHOW, Cmd: scquery("CONFIG:ACQ:ABUNLIM?"),reply$
Msg:
-113,"({SP00} CONFIG:ACQ:ABUNLIM?): Undefined header"

C:\msdchem\1\DATA\GCMS_001.D

startuperror 1
on_error
local fmt$
fmt$=_$(28737,"Macro error ###### % ")
Macro error ###### %
print _error,_errmsg$
7006 -113,"({SP00} CONFIG:ACQ:ABUNLIM?): Undefined header"

alert _$(28736,"The ChemStation did not complete its initialization cycle."),2
if check("variable","icstartlog$")=1
logging 0

Has anyone ever seen this to know what I can do to correct the problem?

Thanks,
Kyle
kfelling wrote:
Hello all! I attempting to upgrade my ChemStation software to a Windows 10 machine for my Agilent 6890/5973N GCMS system. The version is:

I can get it to recognize both the GC and the MSD just fine. However, I keep running into an initialization error upon Chemstation startup that does not allow me to continue. The error is as follows:

Msg:

startuperror 1
on_error
local fmt$
Macro error ###### %
print _error,_errmsg$

logging 0

Thanks,
Kyle

I think msd chemstation is not compatible with windows 10
kfelling wrote:

Msg:

startuperror 1
on_error
local fmt$
Macro error ###### %
print _error,_errmsg$

logging 0

Thanks,
Kyle

Do you have one 5973 LAN Fast Electronics Series?

I am not certain but I think this line may be related to tuning. Can you copy an ATUNE file from the old install to the new one? That may fix the problem.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Hi, the other comment is correct: MSD Chemstation E.02.02 is not supported with Windows 10 and won't work.

You'll need to upgrade to MassHunter GC/MS Data Acquisition, which is the successor. MH Acquisition is supported with Windows 10 and supports all Agilent GC/MS 6890N/5973N and later (no GPIB support for the 5973A and 6890A.)

The specific error you are getting appears to be related to creating the menus, it is referring to a check of whether EM Saver feature is enabled or not, and is failing due to an incompatibility.

I would recommend either downgrading to Windows 7 or getting a newer version of acquisition software. I doubt anything is actually wrong with the instrument. If you were to configure a GC only instrument it may bypass this portion of the startup, because EM Saver is an MS feature. It is possible the software may start, or you may just run into another incompatibility and get a different error message.

Best regards
HI.

Have you checked the basics.
Is the software you are installing compatible with Windows 10.
Do you need windows 10 home or pro ? 32 bits or 64 bits?
In doubt check with a IT guy at your site or call the seller.
If everything is Ok then continue with the other sugestions

regards
According to our service guy, Chemstation E.02.02. can be made to work with WIndows 10.

I noticed you can look up "scquery" in the help file index.It says something about the IO library install maybe having issues.
aldehyde wrote:
Hi, the other comment is correct: MSD Chemstation E.02.02 is not supported with Windows 10 and won't work.

You'll need to upgrade to MassHunter GC/MS Data Acquisition, which is the successor. MH Acquisition is supported with Windows 10 and supports all Agilent GC/MS 6890N/5973N and later (no GPIB support for the 5973A and 6890A.)

The specific error you are getting appears to be related to creating the menus, it is referring to a check of whether EM Saver feature is enabled or not, and is failing due to an incompatibility.

I would recommend either downgrading to Windows 7 or getting a newer version of acquisition software. I doubt anything is actually wrong with the instrument. If you were to configure a GC only instrument it may bypass this portion of the startup, because EM Saver is an MS feature. It is possible the software may start, or you may just run into another incompatibility and get a different error message.

Best regards

It is not supported, but it will work. We just completed our upgrade and the only problem I had was when it wanted the older version of .NET for the Agilent IO program. I had to get the IT Admin to install it since I didn't have the right privileges on the network. After that everything installed as normal. The only other thing is cause by our having two network cards in the computer, one for the instrument and one for the lab network. In W7 and earlier you just had to set the instrument NIC to the #1 position, but W10 changed how that works. To launch instrument control I have to temporarily disable the lab NIC, start MSDChemstation the re-enable the lab NIC and all works just fine. I probably wouldn't have to do that if I knew more about those setting in W10.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Yeah in later versions of MH Acq they solved the binding order problem.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10

For Win 10 you still set the binding order but in a different way. Open the IPv4 settings for your network adapter (the screen where you specify IP, subnet mask, gate way.) Click advanced and then at the bottom of the screen that pops up uncheck 'automatic metric' and change your primary network card to be 1, and then go in and change the secondary network card and make it 2.

It could be 1 and 10, 1 and 1000 -- it just needs to be set so the network card connecting to the gcms is a lower number.

I have tried installing MSD Chem with win 10 and had issues so I didn't bother trying further. Good to see it works if you can get a working version of IO libraries.
Hi everyone!
Hi, I have a GC 6890N with 5973N Mass selective detection, last week the computer failed and I had to change for another computer, on this computer windows XP, I installed the MSD finding a good content here find here f you are still running into the same error after restarting the MS, then the next thing to check would be the binding order of your network adapters.
10 posts Page 1 of 1