Sulfur Species Analysis

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Dear Friends,

Is there is any method or possibility to analyze sulfur species in Heavy Gasoil which has IBP-230 deg C and FBP of 570 Deg C. If you have any idea kindly share.

Nizar
As far I known - in oil processing nobody cares about sulfur-containing components (individual content) but cares about total sulfur.

https://www.rigakuedxrf.com/petroleum.p ... gI9LPD_BwE
I don't remember the method numbers but when I was in university and doing coal chemistry there was a test for Forms of Sulfur that was an ASTM method. It would determine Sulfates, Sulfites, Sulfides,Sulfur and Thiophenic Sulfur. But not individual organic compounds.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
nizar84,

Probably your best hope is an SCD but that having been said, SCD is subject to HC interference. Since a gasoil is a blend it means you will have HC across the whole chromatogram. In that scenario, the other mechanism that would be helpful would be 2 dimensional since the sulfurs should elute slightly differently from the HC in the second dimension and the SCD would be less subject to interferences.

Probably not the answer you wanted - sorry

Best regards,

AICMM
4 posts Page 1 of 1