Column retention time and peak details

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Ciao everyone!

Just wondering if anyone is working on a fixed gas application involving Hayesep DB packed column, would you mind sharing your retention time? Just so I can compare my GC data, I assumed an initial retention time in the GC method.

I am interested in Oxygen and Argon (both measured by the TCD detector against a Helium internal standard-for both TCD detector and column carrier gas).

I obtained the peaks, according to the totalchrom automatic integration, Oxygen and Argon are detected. However, there are not enough peaks for calibration. I believe if I use an appropriate column retention time, this will enable me to obtain enough peaks to calibrate the gas to the GC in the usual way.

Many thanks,
It would help if you gave more details such as length of column, oven temperature and model of GC and concentrations of the compounds you are trying to detect. in the meantime, check out this site, https://vici.com/hayesep/hsdb_c3.php

All chromatograms that I have seen using HayeSepDB need oven cryo as you need to run at 25°C or less for your separation.

Gasman
Mr. Gas man,

Thank you for your reply. I am using a column length of 30 feet and oven temperature program of 35 degrees celsius to 130 degrees celsius (ram 2 per minute and Max T of oven is 150). Max T of haysep DB column is 290 degrees celsius (written on the metal label).

Model of GC is the Perkin Elmer Clarus 500 (2004). Software version (GC display) is Rev 2.1.22 (recently updated by us).

Concentrations of the compounds: at the moment I am passing 35 ml/min of Oxygen and 65 ml/min of Argon via the Gas sampling valve (vici valco). My carrier gas pressure is 140 kPa and flow rate of internal standard is 30 ml/min via the thermal conductivity detector. At these settings the current is balanced (balancing the bridge) and a value of 15 mV is obtained (Range is 1 and att:64). TCD appears as 'Ready'.

In the future, I will be trying to detect Methane using the flame ionisation detector.

All the best Mr natural gasman

Chemengnemesis
3 posts Page 1 of 1