Simple GC question

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Thank you in advance.

I am running a TRACE 1310 Gas Chromatograph.

It's got two inlet ports - one for the headspace system and one for the liquid autosampler.

It has an FID detector.

My question regards safety. I have installed my column (liquid autosampler to FID detector), but unfortunately I can't find the "Blank" nut to seal off the other inlet port inside the oven for the connected headspace system.

Is there any danger in running the system without sealing off this inlet port? I assume there is a valve somewhere that does this automatically anyway when that port is not in use?

Many thanks,
King.
If I understand your configuration properly you need rather blank ferrule not blank nut.
You should cup off inlet port when there is no column connected.
If you don't have blank ferrule just use common ferrule but put a paperclip wire into the hole and fasten with column nut.

Hope this helps :-)
Yeh - you understood correctly, I might not have a blank ferrule, is it still ok to run the instrument?

I’m not using hydrogen as a carrier gas, just helium.

Hydrogen is only used for the FID
King01 wrote:
Yeh - you understood correctly, I might not have a blank ferrule, is it still ok to run the instrument?

I’m not using hydrogen as a carrier gas, just helium.

Hydrogen is only used for the FID

In my opinion it is possible, but it is not a good practice to leave inlet uncapped because of dust in the oven entering the inlet.
And if you don't have blank ferrule do as I said before. Paper clip in the hole of a ferrule is acceptable solution.
I just want to say thanks again.

I ran my analysis today with no problems.

I was able to find a blank ferrule and seal off the other inlet.
5 posts Page 1 of 1