6890 LAN issue

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
I just inherited a 6890A GC. I wanted to swap it for a 6850 system that I currently use. Perhaps niavely, I thought that I could just plug in the ethernet cable that was connected to the 6850 into the 6890, reconfigure the instrument setting in Chemstation, and everything would be fine.

The problem I am having is that the 6890 itself does not seem to recognize that there is a JetDirect LAN port installed. The only options available in the instrument under the communications setting are serial settings. I have opened up the GC, and it seems the card is correctly installed. The green communication LED even turns on when the cable is plugged in. I can't find a way to set an IP address. Obviously, Chemstation won't connect to the instrument.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I thought 6890N was brought out to enable LAN communication???
This isn't a 6890N. It is a 6890A with an MOI card installed to enable LAN networking.
I put the Agilent LAN card in my 6890A and I had to install newer firmware. I'll take a look and see what I had to do. But it was pretty easy.
OK one thing I see right away is that I have a second NIC in the PC controlling the instrument. So, the 6890 is not just attached to the network but to this second NIC in the PC that controls it. The First NIC on the PC is for to the lab network. The second one is for talking to the GC.

So, when you run instrument configuration, you give the address for the LAN card that is inside the 6890. I think there were only a few addresses I was allowed to use.

I think maybe we had to use bootP to assign the LAN card its address and then ping it to be sure we had it.
The Agilent document.... Setting up a LAN
Instrument Network
, says that you need to use BootP to set the address of the LAN card in the 6890A and tells how.
Hello

You need BootP service or BootP Server - both are on CD/DVD with Chemstation.
Agreed.

Without upgrading the firmware/ROM to the 6890N you have to set the IP address of the Jetdirect card remotely. I have seen a way to set it permanently using a program like Putty, but I don't remember the specifics on that. If you have the MAC address of the Jetdirect you can also use a house network to set it using the server, but that puts a lot of traffic on the building network and server, better to use a second NIC if you also need internet access or access to a server.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
8 posts Page 1 of 1