sled error / purge error

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Recently we had some issues with our autosampler CP-8400 of our Varian CP3800. We had the "sled error and the purge error".
So the technician came and replaced the autosampler. But now we still have it.

Could it be a problem with the electronics?
As we have installed 2 columns recently, so there has been worked in the place where all the cables are coming together?

Something that I noticed in the manual is that we should do once in a while an auto calibration of the EFC. If I do that, it says that is failed. What should I do?
Can this be the reason of the errors? What exactly does this calibration does?

Kind regards
I don't have the highest opinion of the CP8400,but in my somewhat limited experience of actually successfully using one(and a lot more experience trying to get one to cooperate) the sled error can come from a couple of things.

Make sure you have the correct syringe installed. This isn't the easiest thing in the world to find. I'm using an SGE 002951. This is a 10µL conical-tip syringe. I'm not sure that Hamilton makes a syringe configured correctly for a CP8400. Make sure the syringe operates correctly-i.e. the plunger moves in and out with minimal resistance, and neither the plunger nor needle are bent.

Power down the autosampler, and make sure the sled moves freely. If there's any obvious "catch" in where it moves, try to find that point and carefully clean it.

Finally, be sure you've calibrated both the Vial 0 position and the injector position. Read the instructions in particular on how to calibrate the injector position, as you need to both make sure you're hitting the center of the start switch and have the sled just above or only just touching the switch.
2 posts Page 1 of 1