Noisey Baseline Issue

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
I am relatively new to GCMS and we are having issues with the baseline. The column was changed last week by an outside source and after I attempted to condition it the baseline is very noisy. This image is from a solvent blank of methanol. We have a 6890N GC and a 5973Network Detector. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cRd0Du4gsa_6KUcuZD1GeHAiBaiHGENw
Try the same experiment except don't inject anything. Just set up the instrument for an injection and press start. How does that look? Some of those things look like real peaks.

Also, can you overlay one of your recent chromatograms with one recorded before the column change and expand the baseline in an area where no peaks elute?

Is it really the noise that's a problem or is it those things that look like peaks that you don't like?
I'm not sure how to get it to do that. You you mean having it sample from an empty vial?
From the printout, it looks to me that you have an Agilent system. On the main page for the Chemstation software, there's a big green arrow. Click on that and set up a manual injection (enter a dummy filename, etc.). Then click on "Start Run". It will go into the manual injection mode. Once it's ready to collect data, press "Start" on the GC.
4 posts Page 1 of 1