Problem with amine sensitivity

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hey there community,
Fairly new to the GC field. I work in a very small environmental testing lab, mostly diesel/oil/gas runs with an FID.

I’m currently trying to get another gc operating for amines analysis but I’m having a few hiccups. I’m using a standard of diethylamine (DEA) and triethylamine (TEA) in nanopurified water, running on an Agilent GC-6890 with a Restek Rtx-5 amine column.
When I run my calibration curve I find that my diethylamine seems to bounce all over the place, my high curve point seem ok (200-600ppm, although I seem to have a 10-15% loss), however my low points seem to loose all or most traces of diethylamine (this occurs between 5-150 ppm). Anyone by chance have any advice as to what could be occurring?
Hello,

Amines in water are difficult. Can you tell us more about your GC method ie headspace or direct inject, GC conditions, inj vol. etc. Can you tell us about your sample prep.

Dave
2 posts Page 1 of 1