ascorbic acid

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello guys,
can someone help me about ran ascorbic acid on GC
It'll never work. I'd find another way to do it. Firstly, the boiling point is way too high. There are other problems but this is the big one.
Mohamad wrote:
Hello guys,
can someone help me about ran ascorbic acid on GC

Wrong "tool". Would you brush your teeth with a wrench?
thank you for reply. but i have COA from different vendors and all them have GC test and that is the reason make me try to find if there is a method to ran ascorbic acid on GC.
So contact those suppliers, suppliers will often share QC methods, some can be adapted for use in finished products. But likely GC was used for stuff like residual solvents, etc.
What would you like to know about your acid?

e.g. if you want to check for volatile contaminants than headspace sampling of a vial of ascorbic acid should be possible.
I believe I tried some derivatization methods (ethyl chloroformate) etc haven't found one that worked well. I think silylation may but you definitely need to derivatize as I believe ascorbic has both too high a boiling point and is not thermally stable.

Edit yep silylation with HMDS in acetonitrile.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3503001919
the complication being it has to be lyophilized because normal evaporation under heat/nitrogen degrades it.

I have a request for it now and I am looking into UV-VIS assays.
7 posts Page 1 of 1