Analysis of Dual Gas Permeate with GC

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello Everyone,

I am constructing a dual gas permeation instrument as my senior engineering design project and will be using GC to determine the permeate gas composition. I am new to this technique, so any information, resources, or suggestions are highly appreciated.

We will be using the instrument to investigate the gas barrier properties of polymer films under competing gases (two of the following; H2, O2, N2, CH4, and CO2) in a dual gas mixture. The permeate gas will be fed to a Hewlett Packard G1540A GC.

The gas lines on the instrument must be made of 316/317 stainless steel because of the hydrogen embrittlement caused by the H2 gas. Should I take this effect into consideration for any stage of the GC process?

I am also having difficulties finding a suitable column for separation of the listed gases. Will I need to use two separate columns and is this possible on the GC I have been provided?

Will I be able to conduct all of the necessary analysis with only the TCD that the GC is equipped with?

Thank you for the help!
Can you provide a drawing of your instrument and sampling apparatus? I’m not really clear on what you mean by “dual” in this context.

It will be tough for you to get all of those analytes with one column. Much discussion has been made on separation of these components. I suggest you search for them using the search box at the top of the main webpage for the forum.
You will be able to perform the analysis easily with a dual column but using the PDHID detector.

I can send you an application note if you send me your email address.
rb6banjo wrote:
Can you provide a drawing of your instrument and sampling apparatus? I’m not really clear on what you mean by “dual” in this context.

It will be tough for you to get all of those analytes with one column. Much discussion has been made on separation of these components. I suggest you search for them using the search box at the top of the main webpage for the forum.


Here are some schematics of other groups' instruments that I have found in literature. https://imgur.com/a/E0ezHFM
The permeate gas is a mixture of two of the gases I would like to test and I need to perform GC to separate and analyze the permeate gas composition. I have looked at a few of the other posts concerning this topic, but I haven't been able to find any that list a column that I can find and procure.

Thanks!
pumpedupchemist wrote:
You will be able to perform the analysis easily with a dual column but using the PDHID detector.

I can send you an application note if you send me your email address.



That would be incredibly helpful! You can contact me at samuel.brister@usm.edu

Thank you!!
Will this do the trick for you?

https://www.restek.com/chromatogram/vie ... C7782-44-7

If the concentrations of the components in your mix are concentrated enough, the TCD should work.
rb6banjo wrote:
Will this do the trick for you?

https://www.restek.com/chromatogram/vie ... C7782-44-7

If the concentrations of the components in your mix are concentrated enough, the TCD should work.


That looks great! Thank you for the help!
7 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

In total there are 11 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 11 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 599 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:27 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Latest Blog Posts from Separation Science

Separation Science offers free learning from the experts covering methods, applications, webinars, eSeminars, videos, tutorials for users of liquid chromatography, gas chromatography, mass spectrometry, sample preparation and related analytical techniques.

Subscribe to our eNewsletter with daily, weekly or monthly updates: Food, Environmental, (Bio)Pharmaceutical, Bioclinical, Liquid Chromatography, Gas Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry.

Liquid Chromatography

Gas Chromatography

Mass Spectrometry