Gas Chromatograph Carbonyles

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a gas chromatograph for tests on: butyraldehyde, isobutyraldehyde, propionaldehyde, formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, acrolein, crotonaldehyde

I found a whole list of chromato on the site: https://shop.labexchange.com

But I need advice.

I have a limited budget :)

Which chromatograph do you recommend to me ? It is possible to find with my budget ?

Thank you

Nicolas
There are many ways to get at your list of analytes. Do you have an analytical method you want to use? If you can describe the method to us, as well as the sample matrix from which you want to retrieve these materials, we'll be better equipped to answer your question in ways that will be helpful to you.

I will tell that that formaldehyde is a difficult one. It's so small and so nearly CO2 that I've generally had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it out of my samples. It's not an easy material to determine. The heavier ones you list are much easier.
Yet, the lighter aldehydes are an easy analysis on HPLC-UV after DNPH derivation.
Can be done via HS-GC-FID. Just get a well deactivated system particularly liner and column. No derivitization of the analytes is necessary. I can easily get up to decanal using static headspace.

Here is a method for lipid oxidation aldehydes
https://waset.org/publications/9997968/ ... d-matrices
Hello,

Thanks you for your reply.

We saw several and leave on a Dionex HPLC (our choice is not definitive).

- Pump P680A DG
- Solvent tray with 6-way degassing, 670μl per lane
- Variable volume automatic injector
- Peltier effect thermostated enclosure
- UV-VIS UVD 170 U Detector 200 to 595nm

What do you think ?

Is the Aldehydes Detection Method the Official ?

Regarding the detection procedure, it is not official. It is an experimental procedure (French Standard AFNOR XP D90-300-2).

For a GC-FID (A complet station GC-FID 430-GC VARIAN) a minimum budget is 16k€ for used. A HPLC-UV 5k€, It's more in this budget :)

Thank you again and I wish you a very happy new year 2019

Nyckos
Steve Reimer wrote:
Yet, the lighter aldehydes are an easy analysis on HPLC-UV after DNPH derivation.

That's what I always did too, since early 1980s.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
Steve Reimer wrote:

That's what I always did too, since early 1980s.

Did you ever use the solid sorbents impregnated with 24DNPH? I've tried to use them and had little success. When it didn't seem to work well right away, I aborted and took another approach (on-fiber-spme derivatization with a perfluorinated derivatizing agent) that worked well for me.

Is there a trick to using the solid-sorbent traps or should it simply be pass the gas through the trap and reconsitute the extract?
7 posts Page 1 of 1