Agilent 7890a/5975C networking issue

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everyone! I used to know how to solve this issue but am just not remembering. Betting posting here that someone will have the quick fix.

I have an Agilent 7890a/5975C running MSD Chemstation on Windows XP.

I am unable to have the internet (wi-fi adapter) and the instrument (network card) active at the same time. Although both work fine when the opposite adapter is disabled...

I have gone in and changed the interface metric to "1" for the wi-fi and "2" for the network card.

This didn't work. Upon startup, it has the correct static IP for the instruments but the incorrect static IP for Chemstation.

I know there is a quick fix for this but am just blanking at the moment.

Anyone care to help me out? Lol.
Leave analytical machines alone.

Are you
1. Defined different IP networks for each card e.g
wired 192.168.10.xxx/255.255.255.0
wireless 192.168.20.yyy/255.255.255.0
2. Able to ping something (e.g another PC, router, printer) in each network when both cards active.

If no - throw this PC away or one of or both network cards. Improper interrupt routing (due to bug in drivers, ageing PCI bridge etc) can lead to lost transmission when both cards are active.
You need to have the metrics the other way around - '1' for the network card connected to the instrument. '2' for the house network connection (i.e. your WiFi card).

As antonk mentioned, you also need to make sure that the IP address for your network card is in the same IP address range (subnet) as the instrument IPs addresses (it sounds like it is). You also need to make sure that this IP address is on a different subnet to your house network connection. Here's an example of one of my setups:

Ethernet #1 (Instrument, metric 1)
PC: 192.168.254.29
GC: 192.168.254.30
MS: 192.168.254.31

Ethernet #2 (House network, metric 2)
PC: 10.0.0.27
3 posts Page 1 of 1