5890 "NOT READY" light stays on......................

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

6 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a 5890 in (apparently) very nice condition that has not been used recently. Connected up to N2, air and H2............FID lit on the first try...........signal at 9.2.

I have turned on and off numerous times but the NOT READY light stays lighted and the READY light never comes on...

Any advice on this, friends? Appreciate your help!
What parameters are set in the method?

Are you running the system from the panel or is it connected to a PC?
I agree that it would be good to see a list of all of your parameters.

Things like inlet or detector temperature can wreak havoc on getting a "ready" status-i.e. if a detector is set to a low set-point temperature it's possible for it to be warmed by the oven and be above a low set-point temperature. If the oven set point is really low(40º is a realistic bottom end, and really 50º is easier to maintain) a hot detector or inlet can keep the temperature above the set-point.

Also, what happens if you hit "start" on the front panel even with the "not ready" light on? It SHOULD go ahead with the run.

Along that same line of thought, if you have the HPIB/RS-232 card installed, you MUST have an HP-IL(INET) cable connected across the two top ports on the card. The GC will never reach "ready" and it will not actually start a run if this isn't present.
One of [Clear] [.] commands allows changing LOCAL ready checking to BUS ready checking.
This makes the system READY.
We had some situations where the unused inlet or unused detector was set at a lower temperature than could be attained, so triggered a not ready condition. So even though checked as "off", the temperature had to be raised to a reasonable number such as 200 C.

I have no idea why.

And if the 5890 is connected to a PC or auto injector, I'd temporarily disconnect the HPIB and remote cables and see if the "not ready" remains or disappears.
Consumer Products Guy wrote:
We had some situations where the unused inlet or unused detector was set at a lower temperature than could be attained, so triggered a not ready condition. So even though checked as "off", the temperature had to be raised to a reasonable number such as 200 C.

This, or some parameter (detector, oven, injector) is set to a temperature lower than ambient temperature.
6 posts Page 1 of 1