Carrier Gas Choice for Permanent Gas Analysis

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello! I am trying to analyze a mix of permanent gases by using a GC-TCD equipped with a packed ShinCarbon ST column from Restek (80/100 mesh).

My products include a mix of H2, CH4, CO2, CO, and maybe some H2O vapor. I would like to know if Argon is good for this analysis? I know He is not reliable when analyzing H2, but will using Ar show peaks for CO2 and CO (and possibly water)?

Thank you!
It depends on what levels of CO and CO2 you are trying to detect and what your sample loop size is.

Gasman
GasMan wrote:
It depends on what levels of CO and CO2 you are trying to detect and what your sample loop size is.

Gasman

My CO2 concentrations will be a bit high but CO concentrations will be about 100 ppm... The sample loop size is 1mL.

I also noticed that I couldn't change the configuration of my Makeup and Reference gas flows to Ar/Me from our software... Will this be a problem?

Thank you very much.
You should be OK for the levels that you will be looking when using the 1ml sample loop. Using the setting for Ar/methane will not make any large difference for 100% Argon. I have been told that there is about 1% difference, well within most flow measurement tools.

Gasman
4 posts Page 1 of 1