Using DB-5 column at up to 380-400 degrees

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
If I do this occasionally will it totally destroy the column very soon?

Or will the column get destroyed with a single use at 380 degrees (about 15 minutes at that temperature)

Does anyone have experience?

thanks in advance
I'm seeing upper limits for temperatures on the typical 5-phases at about 350 °C. I don't have a good feeling about going hotter with those but it seems to me that the column manufacturers have every incentive to quote hotter temperatures if they can do it. Gives you a competitive advantage. The fact that everyone seems to put 350 °C as the upper limit means that they're not willing to risk guaranteeing the column above that.

I'd rather be safe. Check out the HT-5 from Sigma-Aldrich. It's rated for the hot temperatures. I'd bet it's not the stationary phase that's a problem. More likely, its the polymeric coating on the exterior of the column that decomposes at the hot temperatures. If you burn off that coating, the column will get brittle and break readily.
I'd try a Restek MXT-5 Column (Siltek-treated stainless steel)
http://www.restek.com/catalog/view/628

I've used Restek MXT high temperature columns and been satisfied. The stainless steel doesn't degrade at high temperatures like the polyimide coating on fused silica.

We used MXT for intact triglycerides, candle waxes, etc.
lgchrom wrote:
If I do this occasionally will it totally destroy the column very soon?

Or will the column get destroyed with a single use at 380 degrees (about 15 minutes at that temperature)

Does anyone have experience?

thanks in advance

It will deteriorate more quickly and bleed more. You should buy the HT column.
4 posts Page 1 of 1