Sick of Gerstel MPS2 scrunching plungers

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

4 posts Page 1 of 1
So my MPS-2 keeps scrunching syringe plungers. I rinse it twice with toluene followed by twice with either methanol or hexanes. It still scrunches plungers about every 5-6 months. Obviously it doesn't have any or a good syringe sensor. Is there a better way to prevent this? or I am thinking I am just going to take it out at least once a week and check and clean it by hand.
MSCHemist wrote:
It still scrunches plungers about every 5-6 months. or I am thinking I am just going to take it out at least once a week and check and clean it by hand.

How about every 3 months?
I use to have the Agilent 7683 or even the 73 and they had good sensors that halted injection when the plunger was sticky. Some of my samples tend to be sticky. Also Maestro doesn't let you use a larger fill volume for rinse solvent than sample.
Ours have a plunger speed setting that we have slowed down. Not sure if it really improves syringe longevity, but if you have that option it may be worth a shot.
Regards,

Christian
4 posts Page 1 of 1