Acetone Carry Over for Purge and Trap

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
I am running 8260b and for a project coming up I am looking for Acetone. The concentrations I am dealing with are like 150,000ppb in water and 21,000ppbv in vapor. I can run dilutions on this no problem, however I need to run these samples full strength to see other compounds down to low levels.

My question is, Is the Acetone contamination mainly in the sparge tube or in the transfer line to the K trap? Are there any thoughts on how to remove the carryover without replacing that line?

I am using a Tekmar 2016 purge and trap.

Thanks for your input!
If the lines are clean and uncontaminated before you begin then there should not be much problem removing acetone from the lines. I never had high concentrations of acetone carryover more than two blanks. Other things such at toluene and carbon disulfide though can carryover for days. If you have a lot of carryover with acetone then the lines are probably contaminated with some type of high boiling organics or silt from a foaming clay type soil sample.

If the Tekmar 2016 has the original nickle lines they can be contaminated with inorganic salts that corrode or attach to the nickle and cause problems. If it has been plumbed with silcosteel lines you can simply flush them with water and flow helium through them to dry them, or methanol if need be.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
2 posts Page 1 of 1