Electron Capture Detector

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
We would like to move an electron capture detector from a HP 5890 to a HP 5890 Series II Plus. Does anyone know if there is a need to change boards at the same time?

Thanks,
C. M. Lee
Clemson University

I don't know about the board issues, but some regulatory agencies do not like to see ECDs swapped from one GC to another. At a minumum you need to do a wipe test before and after switching to the other GC. In general moving ECDs is a bad idea just from the tracking issue. I was in a lab that lost an ECD, and that got ugly fast.

As I understand you have to move ECD togezer with coresponding extention card. And you don't need to replace the Main board.
For HP, if your ECD can't work with newer GC, you will be unable to fit them physically. At least you will get an error massage at startup.
But as I remember, this instruments use thesame model of ECD.
3 posts Page 1 of 1