Prep run problem

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
We have an Agilent GC-MS 7820A coupled with an 5975 MDS.
After injection the counter is not starting and the device enters in prep run although nobody selected that and remains in loading vial stage.
Injection works but there is no data acquisition.
No error appears and we have to stop it manually.
We are currently using a CP-Wax 58 FFAP CB.
The device was not in use for more than 3 years but it's parameters are ok and everything seems to be working.
Please let us know if you've encountered this situation before.
Thank you!
Are you using an autosampler, manual injection, or external device?

The prep run feature is there if you have special starting conditions for the start of your run like a pulse injection.
I'm not as familiar with the 7820A but you may need to enable Auto Prep Run (Config, Instrument menu, probably).
We are using an autosampler. We can see the syringe washing, taking the sample and injecting. After that, nothing happens.
The GC is off now so I can't send you a picture, but the real time analysis counter does not start and in the up-left part of the screen appears a yellow box with Pre run (or something like that). Also, the message "loading vial" is still on, even though the injection had already happened.
If we do the injection manually, the Pre run message turns to Run (a blue box) and still nothing happens..
The software is E.02.01
We already tried turning of Auto Prep Run, but still nothing happened.
The log file doesn't clarify anything.. for me at least..https://www.researchgate.net/post/Agilent_GC-MS-prep_run_problem
In the log it looks like the MS went into vent state. Was the vent cycle started intentionally?

Was this method created from the default method or copied forward?
What type of injection are you making? Split/Splitless, pulsed etc..
Can you tune the mass spec?
Hi We have a same problem.

Chemstation E.02.02.1431 in Win7
GC/MS 6850/5973

I am working with an autosampler. Everything goes fine if I do a manual injection, or a single injection of an autosampler. But as soon as I start a series of analyzes, the program freezes ... The autosampler does washes and injects a sample, but the chemstation freezes: the counter does not start and does not show the solvent delay, the message "vial loading" remains. If I try to reboot (but press cancel) the solvent delay window appears, but the counter still won't start. In this case, the detector starts after the expiration of time and writes data, the chromatograph too. It seems that after the injection, the connection with the chromatograph disappears, it can only be restored after restarting the computer.

I thought about a remote cable, but with a single injection, everything goes fine. I changed the cable to another, it didn't change anything. Both cables were just COM9, not original.

I don't know what to think, I tried several instrument configurations and a new method, the result is always the same.
If you click status on the GC, do you see the time as if it was doing a run? I had this issue where it wouldn't show up in Chemstation as a run, but the GC was actually doing a run but it would not trigger the MS or Chemstation acquisition.
The chromatograph executes its program (the temperature of the stove is set as needed, the green lamp is "run"). The chemical station does not see the data from the chromatograph (there is no display of the temperature rise, the time counter does not work (it shows 0), etc. "). The mass detector starts working and at the bottom of the chemical station, where the spectrum and chromatogram, the current spectrum is displayed and the time is running. But it is impossible to get a snapshot of the chromatogram during operation. The chemical station cannot exit the injection cycle except by forcibly killing the application. Restarting the chemical station gives a message that there is no bridge with the GC.
9 posts Page 1 of 1