FAST GC With AGILENT 6890

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
:?: :?: :?:

Does anyone do fast gc with narrow bore column and 6890?
Yes

Is that all you want to knw?

:oops: No
What type of analysis?
Does it work well,or need a lot of maintenance?
Is that easy to implement? :lol:

Thanks

xxx wrote:
:oops: No
What type of analysis?
Does it work well,or need a lot of maintenance?
Is that easy to implement? :lol:

Thanks

Hi xxx,

U need to buy a special insert for the GC oven (it will decrease half of your oven volume) and you only can used back injector and back detector. if you used FID, set the detector to 200 Hz.
Please choose the column with the thick film stationary phase.
Use Hydrogen as your carrier gas.
Fast GC works well, easy and no need maintenance.
regards
Adi
Thank you Adi

Dear XXX,

If you are injecting CLEAN particulateless samples that will be true. But there is NO FREE LUNCH.

If you have samples at concentrations high enough to measure well (remember the sample capacity of the narrow bore columns is greatly reduced over that of even the 025mm ID columns) and the matrix does not have non-volatiles that might form a particle in the injection port and become lodged in the column partially or completely blocking the flow, you should be ok.

Also XXX remember hydrogen is required as a carrier and can be a bit tricky setting up a good optimal flow rate if you change temperatures a lot. Read the literature.

Also remember if time is the issue a shortened 0.25mm column, even down to less than 10m in length might be a better easier solution to try first, and not to mention the CHEAPER solution.

(And I work for a company that sells capillary columns..... what am I saying..... :roll: )

But if your application is suitable go with what works best for you.

Chromatographer1

:D Thank you
But do i need the oven insert with a 220/230V 6890 ?
:shock:
We have tested the ability of the 6890 for fast gc applications. Without the pillow inside the oven, the ability of the oven to track a fast heating ramp is poor. It improves with the pillow, but then there is so much additional material inside the oven which means that cooling and equilibration is slow. I suppose the intrument will work fine with reasonably (<20deg C) slow ramps.
7 posts Page 1 of 1