5890 "GC not found! Check...correctly configured" error

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello, recently purchased a "refurbished" 58990 Series II GC (FID) (5890A) with a 7673 autoinjector running HP ChemStation (Rev A.06.01 (403). I finished plumbing the gases and believe to have assembled all the cords connecting the GC to the controller and PC correctly. When opening the software, I get the following error "GC not found! Check that GC is correctly configured". I assume this means the PC doesn't see the GC. I unplugged all connections to make sure they were clean and reassembled everything. I get the same error. When I start the GC, I get the message "Passed Self Test". Any ideas? I want to ping the GC from DOS but I don't know how to identify the IP address of the GC (there's no option key that I can see).
Be sure all the cords are securely attached. Turn off the GC, wait 10 seconds, then turn on the GC.

Be sure the CDS (chromatographic data software) is installed on the computer. Finally (as I recall), turn on the computer (it should search and self configure).
AChemLLC wrote:
I want to ping the GC from DOS but I don't know how to identify the IP address of the GC (there's no option key that I can see).

Does 5890 have network card ? I thought 6890N was the 1st network GC from Agilent.
I'm also thinkin' that 5890 GC would need HPIB/GPIB connections from computer to the GC and the injector box.

The computer itself should gave an 82341 or 82350 GPIB card, and the GC and the injector box should have communications boards as well. GPIB and 9-pin remote cables connect all those.

I've got used GPIB boards and other 5890 parts available VERY reasonably for sale in USA, see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27106&start=15 before I throw them away.
Three possibilities that I can think of. 1) Cable not fully screwed on. HP-IB cables can be very fussy that way. 2) Dead segment of HP-IB cable. I have seen this with one of the HP-IB cables that was dead headed (not pass through.) So, to start, eliminate all cables except from computer to PC. 3) Most likely, HP-IB address on GC does not match that of the computer. I can send you a drawing I use (crude but very useable) so you can set the address and then make the computer address match if you like. aicmm at flash dot net.

Best regards,
AChemLLC tries to ping GC from PC. It can't be done when there is no network connection with IP protocol.
Hi AChemLLC,

I might be able to help solve your issue. I apologize for the long post, but I hope it will give you ample information to work with.

If you are running Chemstation A.06.01, you need to use a computer with either Windows 95 or Windows 98 SE. If you have a choice between both operating systems, I highly suggest choosing Windows 98 SE because it is more stable and less prone to crashing. You will need to connect your GC and autosampler controller (Assuming you have either 18594B or G1512a), directly to the GPIB port on the GC via a GPIB cable. Then, you will need to connect the GC to the computer via a GPIB cable. As you may know, only Agilent approved GPIB cards (must be slotted into the ISA slot or PCIe slot on the motherboard) are able to communicate with the GC. If you have one of those National Instrument adapters / HPIB cards, it will not work. Only Hewlett Packard / Agilent HPIB cards will work. Since you are using a 5890 Series II GC, you have the choice between a 82350a/b HPIB card (slots into PCIe), a 82341C HPIB card (slots into ISA), or a 82335 HPIB card. You can use any the above cards with your setup. I've used all three throughout the years on my 5890 Series II GCs with various versions of chemstation (revision A). Chemstation revision B only allows you to use 82350b HPIB cards or iNET, so be careful.

The first thing you need to do is determine which card you have. The best way is to open your PC and look at the physical card. Once you determined the card you are working with, download the Agilent IO Libraries software (google search). You will need to download the correct version according to your HPIB card type and windows OS version. Start the IO libraries and select the card you are using. If you are using an 82350a/b card set the GC to the following parameters:

SICL: hp82341
VISA: GPIB0
Logical Unit: 7
Bus: 30

If you are using an 82341C card or a 82335 card, use the following parameters:

IRQ Line: 10

Verify that the IO Libraries can detect the connected instruments (should tell you the GPIB address of each instrument connected).

After this is done, you will need to open the configuration settings in Chemstation and set your GC and HPIB to the appropriate GPIB address. The default HPIB address for the GC is 15 and the default for the controller is 8. If you bought a refurbished product, these addresses may have been changed. The GC address can be determined by looking at the addresses found by the IO Libraries software. After determining the HIPB addresses of the GC and autosampler, input these values into the configuration settings in chemstation. Restart your computer and the GC (power cycle - sometimes the HPIB cables get stuck) and try opening chemstation. This should solve your issue.

Let me know if you have any trouble with the above. If you have questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at: Aaron (dot) Lopes (at) Berkeley (dot) edu
[quote="alopes"]Hi AChemLLC,

I'm seeing something similar on a 5890 that I just acquired. Anyway, your response is very helpful, but how does one set the Bus to 30? Mine seems to have defaulted to 16 and I can't seem to find where to change it.
8 posts Page 1 of 1