Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

9 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am using 7820 A agilent GC in our lab. I have recently changed the logic board of the GC and reconfigured the system because, the open lab chemstation would consider our system as a new one.

After configuring the system, successfully, I opened the 7820 A online instrument, but the instrument actuals is displaying that the system is offline. I have then re-installed the open lab software, after repairing it unsuccessfully, and yet the same thing is happening again.

I could not get my system online. Although, my keypad is working fine, getting connected that is, but the online instrument is still being displayed as offline. Also, I am using a standalone system, changed the preferences where unique folders dont get created, checked the parameters, created a new def_gc.m method and yet no result.

We are actually using MIDI sherlock software on the system and I am unable to load the methods and run them as the GC and the open lab chemstation are not communicating with each other.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what can I do to solve this? I tried going through the configure methods in the sherlock tool box and all else I could think of.

The hardware on the GC is fine, lan cards are fine, NIC are fine. Your help will be much appreciated and I will owe you guys one.
Try to ping GC to check connection.
Best regards,
Dmitriy A. Perlow
dap wrote:

I have pinged the GC and it is connected, I got positive tests after pinging.
I even tested the connection through the open lab tool and got the result "connection successful"
anvesh4411 wrote:
dap wrote:

I have pinged the GC and it is connected, I got positive tests after pinging.
I even tested the connection through the open lab tool and got the result "connection successful"

HI,

finally, I could get the system online.... but, it is crashing in a while as soon as the chemstation turns on...
Also, I could nt see the FID signal on chemstation. I have set it to FID and all but I cant see any baseline
If you are in a lab with a lot of GC's, printers etc on a network, be careful with pinging. Whenever I need to check a connection by pinging and I get a positive reply, I then disconnect the lan cable from the GC and re-ping. If you get then get a positive reply you know that there is another device connected with the same IP address, and this will give you problems.

Gasman
Try another ethernet cable with GC and/or check if another hardware has the same ip.
Best regards,
Dmitriy A. Perlow
Try to install standalone system w/o Sherlock - i.e. only OpenLab configured to your GC.

1. If OpenLab alone (Sherlock-free) working? If no - contact Agilent support
2. Install Sherlock - if something broken? If yes - contact MIDI support.

Also 7890/7820 has funny interfacing model.
To work with these GCs the CDS has to start 4 TCP servers listening for incoming connections. If your firewall decides to block incoming connections to TCP ports numbers 10000 and more - you will get no signals.

In the case your PC has more than one network card - also you can get problems.

Our UniChrom has specific configuration parameter to explicitly specify which network card IP has to be used for listening.
antonk wrote:
Try to install standalone system w/o Sherlock - i.e. only OpenLab configured to your GC.

1. If OpenLab alone (Sherlock-free) working? If no - contact Agilent support
2. Install Sherlock - if something broken? If yes - contact MIDI support.

Also 7890/7820 has funny interfacing model.
To work with these GCs the CDS has to start 4 TCP servers listening for incoming connections. If your firewall decides to block incoming connections to TCP ports numbers 10000 and more - you will get no signals.

In the case your PC has more than one network card - also you can get problems.

Our UniChrom has specific configuration parameter to explicitly specify which network card IP has to be used for listening.

Thanks a ton Antonk, I did what you have suggested and it seems that the problem is with the CDS agilent software, or my hard disk... I am now changing the computer and am re installing the software and see if it works... My firewall is off and I was already using a standalone system, But it is taking more than 10 minutes for the chemstation to get online, donno why but my IT guy, coz I am IT deaf, suggested that it could be because of a bad hard disk with repeated threading or some such huge words, basically meaning that my hard disks broken.

Thanks one and all for your suggestions, although I will keep you posted because I am not done with this thing yet.
9 posts Page 1 of 1