By shyam s Reddy on Saturday, August 7, 2004 - 01:02 pm:

dear forum members
I am a research scholar new to GC.I have few questions regarding detection of hydrogen from head space of some bacterial culture bottles.before that how i should calibrate or standardize(both internal and external)the GC.which is the best column and carrier gas for hydrogen detection.Any good books for GC calibration? please provide me the information.
thanking you
g.s.s.Reddy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By chromatographer1 on Monday, August 9, 2004 - 10:26 am:

Carboxen 1004 micropacked column is a solution for H2 separation from other gases. (other: Mole Sieve 5A) Helium ionization detector (using He carrier) is the best detector depending upon amount of sample and limit of detection. Otherwise use Nitrogen carrier and TCD. Buy multiple calibration gas mixes and use a fixed loop injection system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By GC user on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 07:23 am:

The only thing I would consider doing differently from the posting above is to use a dynamic gss blending system instead of prepared standards, especially if you are looking at widely varying concentrations. That way you will not need as many standards. The fixed loop injection system is very important for maximum precision.