Electron Capture Detector [May 24, 2004]

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
By Ian on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:23 am:

We have identified a sample which contains fluorinated and chlorinated hydrocarbons. So far we have determined these compounds using either thermal desorption or headspace as sample introduction devices, followed by GC-MS. We believe an ECD may provide us with a more rapid, sensitive and selective analyses. The problem is that we have no experience with such a detector. I am aware of the detection mechanism of the detector, but if my mind serves me well, I remember reading about a new type of detector that does not operate with a radio active source. Any comments will be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 08:21 am:

Ian,
Check with Valco for a pulse discharge detector. It can be operated in an electron capture mode and there is no radioactive source used. Web site is www.vici.com I do not work for them, just a very satisfied customer of that detector.
Regards,
Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Anonymous on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

Is the PDD as sensitive as a micro ecd of agilent?

By Anonymous on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:45 am:

May 26 Anon,
Don't know, never used the Agilent detector but Valco might have a comparison. If not I would think they should have sensitivity numbers specs you could use to compare with Agilents numbers. Another nice feature is how fast ther detector recoversm from a large overload. Whereas a "normal" ECD can takes tens of minutes to hours sometimes the PDD will recover in just a few minutes.
Regards,
Mark

By Ed Chen on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 12:57 am:

Some fluoro compounds will respond to the ECD while others do not-it could be very selective for some of your compounds
By graciella on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 08:14 am:

Please, Does anybody have experience in separating He and Ne with N2 as carrier gas?
Could you advice me which column should work best?

By Bernd Mischke on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:20 am:

A Molsieve 5A can do this job. What kind of column depends on Your GC system.
Important is also the concentration rangeof Your sample.
Contact me.
2 posts Page 1 of 1