By kyasotha on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 05:19 am:

HI,

I would like to find out whether 15% DEGS(20 ft)80 mesh packed column is capable of detecting fatty acid methyl esters in range of C8 - C16.May I also know what is the appropriate temperature settings. Currently i am setting Column Temperature = 200 (that's the maximum), Det and Inj Temp at 240degrees Celcius. THe brand is Chemito.
Actually i am analysing content of polyhydroxyalkanoate (a biopolymer) which is methanolysed. I inject 2 microlitres of this sample. I am trying to ramp the oven temperature, because the above settings do not produce favourable results.
Please email me at kyas81@hotmail.com

Thanks a lot

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Consumer Products Guy on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 07:59 am:

Yes, that column should do fine for FAMEs of that range; the saturates for the carbon numbers elute before the unsaturates (e.g. C18, C18-1, C18-2). However, DEGS columns (succinates) are esters and are not that stable or long-lived (prone to oxidation/hydrolysis). we switched to cyanopropyl phases over 20 years ago, more stable, same elution order and separation, higher temperature limit, and more stable (e.g. Supelco SP-2330, Restex Rtx-2330). PEG columns and OV-225 also are OK.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By kyasotha on Friday, July 9, 2004 - 09:14 pm:

thanks very much for ur info. best regards