By Sebastian on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 06:45 am:

I've purchased a new Merlin Microseal septum recently (the old one was too old) and very soon I've payed attention, that at the moment of injection the gas streams out from the injector. The syringe was the same with right needle dimensions. Does anybody know, what the problem could be?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ron on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 08:05 am:

If you read the insert that comes with the Microseal you will see that leakage of several mL/min of carrier gas is normal. This can cause a problem with splitless injections, but for a fairly high split ratio you should be OK. From my experience (limited) with the Microseal the leakage rate varies considerably from septum to septum. Problem is you got one that leaks more than the last one, but it is probably still in the normal range.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By ingochrist on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:11 am:

As far as I know there is a Merlin for 23 and another for 24 gauge syringes. Make sure you received the correct part. If you still have a large leak, I would call your supplier up and possibly exchange it. I use the Merlin with SPME for Splitless injection (only) and don't see any significant flow coming out.

By G. Peck on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 01:02 pm:

I've had problems with the Merlin leaking as well, and I've found that the only solution was to tighten the merlin cap (with a wrench) until the airleak stops; this usually means the lip of the injection port insert assembly actually begins to cut into the septum edge. I'm sure this is not what the manufacturers intended, but this way has allowed at least 1000 injections without a problem from an air leak.
Add a Message

This is a public posting area. If you do not have an account, enter your full name into the "Username" box and leave the "Password" box empty. Your e-mail address is optional.
Username:
Password:
E-mail: