Parts needed to change a 5890 FPD to NPD

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

2 posts Page 1 of 1
I never use the FPD on my 5890, and I don't have space for another box, so I'm looking to swap out the detector for an NPD. I am looking for help in terms of the parts I'd need.

Injector is cool-on-column, and I would like to change that out as well.

So I'd need a 5890 injector, the NPD itself, the NPD card, and the parts to go from packed column to capillary column. I'm handy with a wrench; is this the kind of thing I can do myself? And where to find the parts?
If the heater and thermocouple are the same for the FPD and NPD then it will be much easier as you can just slide them out of one mounting block and into the other. If not, you have to remove them from the connectors at the upper rear of the motherboard, which will require a special tool for the heater wires, the thermocouple wires can be removed using a syringe tip to push in the clips.

If you are using a 0.53 column you can simply get the adapter to mount the column into the packed inlet, much easier than swapping out for a split/splitless port. That way you don't have to remove heater and thermocouple wires from the connectors and run them across the back of the instrument or swap out the gas controller which can be a pain getting to the mounting nuts on them.

If you are familiar with basic repairs then you can probably do it yourself, the only delicate parts will be the thermocouple wires, which are the very thin ones with the white cloth insulation on them, those can be broken if handled too roughly. The rest of the parts are pretty durable.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
2 posts Page 1 of 1