Varian 3800 FID Flame Out Error

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I have a Vraian 3800 GC with an FID detector and I am having issues getting it to light. I have just replaced the Flame Tip with a spare that I received from Scion Instruments. When looking at the GC manual, it appears that the washer is below the ferrule on the flame tip and the narrower side of the ferrule is pointed downward (towards the oven). Is all of this correct? When I took off our last detector the washer was above the ferrule and the ferrule was still pointed down into the oven.

Is there anything else I should check to ensure proper lighting of the detector?

Thanks,
Anthony
1. Check hydrogen, air, carrier, and any make up gas flows to the detector.
2. Are you getting any glowing from the ignitor, have you tried a separate ignition source like a match?
I got the FID to light. Somehow the ferrule on the detector side slid to extend the column too far, even though I had already crimped it into place.

Now I am getting a slight dip in my chromatography right after my injection and then I'm getting 3 very small peaks that are not representative of anything. I'm wondering if this could be caused by a leak. Any ideas?
3 posts Page 1 of 1