Rough pumps choice

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello everybody,

I have a doubt concerning the rough pump of a new GC-MS system we are buying. Agilent offered the IDP-3 scroll dry pump (no oil) or the classical DS42i rotary vane. It is going to be paired with a 255 l/m turbo

There is a difference in price between the two, but the first one is less noisy, no oil and 150 euro of maintenance per year (there is a seal to replace). Here in France this new IDP is not really common, but I know in the US more people are using it. However probably the cost of the oil is less than 150 euro...

Technically speaking, i also found interesting the valve avoiding the loss of vacuum in case of power shut down (in my lab, countryside, this can happen unfortunately) which is not present in the DS42i.

What is your opinion about it? Do you think this can be an interesting technology?
burritoblu wrote:
...Technically speaking, i also found interesting the valve avoiding the loss of vacuum in case of power shut down (in my lab, countryside, this can happen unfortunately) which is not present in the DS42i.

IMHO DS42 has got a built-in anti-backflow valve to help prevent backstreaming in the event of a power failure
dblux_ wrote:
burritoblu wrote:
...Technically speaking, i also found interesting the valve avoiding the loss of vacuum in case of power shut down (in my lab, countryside, this can happen unfortunately) which is not present in the DS42i.

IMHO DS42 has got a built-in anti-backflow valve to help prevent backstreaming in the event of a power failure

You are right :

DS42
Anti-suckback Valve and Vent Device

This valve isolates the pump should it stop or be idle. It prevents inadequate venting and oil contamination of the vacuum system when the pump is switched off.

However if money was not a problem, what are the downsides of the dry scroll pump ? For me its seems like a more efficient system compared to this one DS42.
3 posts Page 1 of 1