Clean liner with glass wool

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi
I would like to know how I clean liner with glass wool.
I know it is not recommended but due to lack of money, is the only option :roll:

Tks
Remove the glass wool, solvent rinse the liner with an appropriate solvent or two, replace the glass wool with fresh wool and if necessary, treat with silanizing agent.

http://www.restek.com/pdfs/400-00-003.pdf

This may work for you depending on your analysis.
Are you experiencing breakdown of analytes? Or possibly carryover?

If you just have some light contamination, you can possibly just flush with solvent with the wool still in the liner. But for heavy contamination or breakdown of sensitive analytes you will most likely need to replace the wool and silanize as above.

Sometimes light to moderate contamination can be removed by baking the liners in a muffle furnace at 450-500C.
The past is there to guide us into the future, not to dwell in.
Expect a signal loss with factor 10. i used to send my liner to get them professionally cleaned. The sensitivity sinks so rapidly that i use new once again. specially fragile substances at low temperature get lost. we test a big spectrum of pesticides.

I called the cleaning company once and ased a few sneaky questions, cause i wanted to clean them myself too. They rinse them in a fluid in an ultra sonic. After that, they put them in a "special oven" (whatever that means) and let them sit there for a couple of days. They cool down slowly in that oven. After that they refill them in a dustfree area with wool and put them in sealed packeges.
adler_LAB wrote:
Expect a signal loss with factor 10. i used to send my liner to get them professionally cleaned. The sensitivity sinks so rapidly that i use new once again. specially fragile substances at low temperature get lost. we test a big spectrum of pesticides.

I called the cleaning company once and ased a few sneaky questions, cause i wanted to clean them myself too. They rinse them in a fluid in an ultra sonic. After that, they put them in a "special oven" (whatever that means) and let them sit there for a couple of days. They cool down slowly in that oven. After that they refill them in a dustfree area with wool and put them in sealed packeges.

Can i ask how much did it cost to get liners cleaned (per liner or per x liners)? And how did they perform compared to new ones?
!!!!EDIT: you should definetly try a cleaned one on your method first, maybe your signal loss is not as big as in our analysis !!

the cleaning costs here are about 15 Euro per liner. It depends on how many you send them at a time. I usually have about 20-30. So the price gets cheaper the more you send.

Like i said in my previous post, our signal loss is about faktor 10 for easy substances. the fragile components like captan for example are almost not detectable. So a new liner has acceptable results for about 2-3 Weeks and the cleaned once are done after one Week due to such a bad performance from the beginning. A new focus liner from SGE costs us 50euro. So the actual saving is super low, if you dont clean them yourself.

If you havent tried different liner yet, i recommend testing as many as you can. Maybe you can perform good results with a liner that holds performance over a longer period. Maybe thats a way to save some costs.
If you offer them a deal of buying a bigger package they are usually willing to give out samples.

Hope i could help you
If you can tell us what you are analysing we might be able to give you some advise on liner choise etc.
info on: injector temperature, injected solvent, injection volume, .... can all help in getting a better answer.
7 posts Page 1 of 1