GC method to quantify N,CO2,CO,He and H

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Could someone recommend me a GC method to separate Nitrogen,Carbon Monoxide,Carbon Dioxide,Helium and Hidrogen.
You need to give more information.

What concentrations are these compounds. Are these the compounds that you wish to measure in a mixture which also contains other gases and vapors. You are limited to using a thermal conductivity detector using argon as a carrier gas, which will also affect the lower limits that you can measure.

Are you planning to order a new GC, if so the supplier of the GC should be able to suggest what to order. If you already have a GC, what do you have installed on this GC such as detectors, inlets and any valves.

Gasman
Another option is to have a 2 channel system that injects the sample on both channels at the same time. One channel quantifies N2, CO2, CO using a TCD with He carrier. The other channel quantifies He and H2 using a TCD with N2 carrier. This similar to how a Refinery Gas Analyzer is set up.
A two column (PP Q / MS5a ) reverse column step multidimensional GC application with perform your analysis quickly.
Otherwise, a Carboxen 1000 column at somewhat elevated temperatures (100°C or more) should do the analysis within 30 minutes.

best wishes,

Rod
I used a GC with the detector of DID for air impurity analysis of N,CO2,CO,He and H2 in high purity gas. It was installed two columns. One is packed molecular sieve, another one Q HayeSep Q. The carrier gas is He.
I used a GC with the detector of DID for air impurity analysis of N,CO2,CO,He and H2 in high purity gas. It was installed two columns. One is packed molecular sieve, another one Q HayeSep Q. The carrier gas is He.
Concentrations are critical to the proper choice of detector and columns.
You have received replies which differ greatly. You have not replied back so I assume your question is theoretical and the details are not important.

Rod
Hi oacfsm,
Sorry if this is a late reply to the question...new user, my work email is down and my customers are silent.
Being a sales guy for Siemens and a former multi-dimensional methods development turned sales guy, here's the poop...
Based upon the following assumptions;
No CH4, No O2/Ar, measurement range around 1,000ppm to 100% for each species & output for CO2 as "CO2+" or heavier.
Maxum II GC would require; 8 Cell TCD on two applications via parallel chromatography. Two 10 port Model 50 valves, Micro-packed columns of Hayesep N 100/120 & 5A Mole Sieve 100/120 with H2 carrier for the N2, CO & CO2+ (backflush to detector) and two micro-packed columns of Hayesep N 100/120 with N2 carrier for the H2 & He. Isothermal oven at 140F/60C and an overall cycle time of ~240seconds...or less.

We've tweaked our TCDs sensitivity in recent years with MDLs approaching 5ppm minimizing the need for flame detectors. Customers really, really like simple applications without flame detectors.

I can send additional information if needed. Call Siemens at 918-662-7000 & ask for Gregg
8 posts Page 1 of 1