Back in front of the GC!

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everybody!

It's been a very long time since I last consulted the Chromatography Forum. I finished working at the university in late 2012, unable to secure additional funding. Since then I have done everything from fixing electric bikes and scooters, building Australia's fastest electric superbike, building batteries for UAVs, working at the local science centre and volunteering for the Australian Electric Vehicle Association.

So now that it's 2016, I finally secured a job in sandalwood again.

It's with a firm who grow and distil lots and lots of sandalwood, and they are selling the products to various markets around the world. My job is a 'research chemist' who will guide a lot of the method development and QA.

So you can expect to hear from me a bit more often - especially since the lab's GCs are pretty ancient.

Cheers,
Chris

Wow - can't believe I joined in 2006!
To err is human.
To really screw things up, you need a machine.
Congrats on getting "back in the saddle" (American cowboy expression) and all of the challenges that brings. Sounds like an interesting job though.
Thanks! It's a steep learning curve, and I'm pretty rusty. But it's all coming back.

They have some cool research just waiting to be done, but being a company they have to decide what's worth it and what's not. Unfortunately they don't apply a great deal of science to their problem solving. Something I will definitely be bringing to the table.

Oh, and I learnt that they still use the OLD Shimadzu GC-FID software. You know, the one that needs a 386 computer to run... Yikes!
To err is human.

Hi Chris
Are you still around?
Hey everybody! Yes I'm still alive :)
I stopped working for the sandalwood factory in 2017 and moved back to Perth. Been working on batteries and electric vehicles ever since. Last time I considered using a GC was to do some surface mount PCB work - GC ovens are perfect for the job!

Hat tip to Greg Cawthray for letting me know there was a post here.
Chris
To err is human.

Chris Jones wrote:
Hey everybody! Yes I'm still alive :)
I stopped working for the sandalwood factory in 2017 and moved back to Perth. Been working on batteries and electric vehicles ever since. Last time I considered using a GC was to do some surface mount PCB work - GC ovens are perfect for the job!

Hat tip to Greg Cawthray for letting me know there was a post here.
Chris

Hi Chris, just wondering if you stlll had any information around GC testing of Sandalwood??
Oh sure. What do you need to know?
To err is human.

7 posts Page 1 of 1