Agilent G1512A ALS Control Box died

Discussions about GC and other "gas phase" separation techniques.

14 posts Page 1 of 1
We have an Agilent (HP) 6890 GC (G1530A) and we came in this week and the G1512A ALS Control Box appears dead, no lights on the front working, power cord swapped, different receptacle, still dead. No easy to check fuses on this unit either.

Agilent has referred me to a partner company that specializes in the older GC systems, and I know at least one person on this board works in as 3rd party instrument and repair.

We have two spare 18594b control boxes from 5890 systems, can these be cabled to work on the 6890 GC?

Or is it recommended to buy a used G1512A control box for under $1200?

Agilent said a 3rd party vendor can supply an upgrade for the 6890 to use a 7683 ALS tower, and we do have one of those just sitting, so that's another option. I'm not sure right now if we have a tray for that 7683 or would just need to inject from the tower.

I'm open to any ideas, thanks.
Any ideas?
I recall there is a fuse inside the box somewhere, though it has been a while.

I still have one 6890 that uses that old G1512 setup. I have been keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck.
Yama001 wrote:
I recall there is a fuse inside the box somewhere, though it has been a while.

Yes, there are 5 fuses inside that I found, after the outer cover is taken off, then the inner stainless steel top panel is taken off. But all 5 tested as fine, each removed from the 0950-2581 power supply circuit board and tested. there was at least one suspicious brownish area on that circuit board though, like something had gotten hot.

The two fans are not locked up. There was considerable dust inside, 19 years worth.
This problem mostly originated from the electrolytic capacitors , the brownish color may come from a leaking capacitor. I repaired two of the boxes , both had the same problem.

You may try to replace the capacitors ( 39 microfarads , if I remember correctly ) .
Four options are in:

1 and 2. use Agilent partner company to upgrade the 6890A to either a 6890 Plus or a 6890N and use our spare 7683 tower to inject (we have no tray for that), each option is about $5K plus installation of $3K (includes travel) if too involved to do ourselves.

3. have the G1512A repaired by a 3rd party vendor for $800, like an Agilent bench repair, but not through Agilent

4. Purchase a used, warrantied G1512A for $1000-$1300.

Boss gets to make the decision. In the meantime, our last 5890 has an inlet pressure issue, but don't think he'll permit me to switch in a pressure regulator and mass flow controller into that, as he plans to ditch that unit by end of year. He doesn't "like" equipment no longer under factory support.

Ha ! I drive a 1988 truck daily with 205K on it, and fix that myself !!

The first company I contacted (three times) as suggested by Agilent has not returned my call, my voicemail, or my E-mail from Tuesday, guess I thought businesses existed to make money !!
Hi, Your idea of using the 5890 hardware although a good one can't be done. No 5890 hardware is compatible with the 6890. The 6890A ( model using controller) can be upgraded but unsure if even that upgrade is around anymore. I'd hit up the second hand market- even ebay and get a controller as cheap as you can to keep it limping .....Good Luck! :)
April Warman wrote:
Hi, Your idea of using the 5890 hardware although a good one can't be done.

Yep, know that now. Thanks.

April Warman wrote:
I'd hit up the second hand market- even ebay and get a controller as cheap as you can to keep it limping .....Good Luck! :)

We're buying a used G1512A. Maybe near end of the year we'll send the non-working unit out for a repair so we'll have a spare, as we have two 6890 units that use the 7673 autosamplers.

My first wife's name was April !!! She was born in April, and went by "Ape".
KM-USA wrote:
We're buying a used G1512A. Maybe near end of the year we'll send the non-working unit out for a repair so we'll have a spare, as we have two 6890 units that use the 7673 autosamplers.

Maybe the most practical solution.
Same error as KM-USA happened today at my company. G1512AX control box just died, fans are not moving, no LED is lit. I am pretty sure the power supply is damaged due to overheat (a lot of dust was inside preventing decent cooling of the electronic components).

Does anyone know what parts are most likely burnt? Has anyone got the circuit diagram? (those were usually distributed with old boards)
Soldering should be no problem.

Maybe there is a workaround with external power supply(ies)? (maybe just a common computer power supply) For this purpose I would need to know the connector pin assignment. (maybe someone can measure the voltages on his working G1512A)

I'd be thankful for any help.
M-KW, I have any information; the voltages are +/- 18V 6.0A; +/- 13 V 0.5 A; 5V 6.0A and 12 V 0.34A for the fan.
I have the pinout distribution voltages on the Molex conector (24pin 2x12) in the Motherboard but I ll look for them.

Regards.
Aldo.//
M-KW wrote:
Same error as KM-USA happened today at my company. G1512AX control box just died, fans are not moving, no LED is lit. I am pretty sure the power supply is damaged due to overheat (a lot of dust was inside preventing decent cooling of the electronic components).

Does anyone know what parts are most likely burnt? Has anyone got the circuit diagram? (those were usually distributed with old boards)
Soldering should be no problem.

Maybe there is a workaround with external power supply(ies)? (maybe just a common computer power supply) For this purpose I would need to know the connector pin assignment. (maybe someone can measure the voltages on his working G1512A)

I'd be thankful for any help.

Do you have an email address where I can send to you the pin assignment and my experience with an external supply?

Aldo.//
Hey Aldo!

many thanks for replying so fast. Although I thought I had replied already to your first reply.

As I wrote earlier but was not saved O_o:
In the meantime I was able to repair my G1512AX power supply. The z-diode ZD102 was short fused and I replaced it with another 10V Z-Diode. I refreshed some bad soldering on the board so now it works once again.

Nevertheless I am very interested in your experience with an external power supply (are you using the same voltages? some are very uncommon (13V)).

The pinout layout would be very helpful because I think my repair was only temporary and I think there is a high chance that I will need it in the future.

many thanks
M-KW
Hi Aldo,

my email adress: hiasi015@gmx.at

I tried to send a personal message or even an email. I had enabled email contact of all users, but it seems it doesnt work. So I have to actually reply here O_o. I also added you as a friend, however all you can to with a friend list, is deleting friends it seems. Either this board needs some upgrade for this stuff or I cant find these options.
I have a different issue. Mine cannot talk to the GC anymore. I tried plugging it into a 6890+, and reswitched it for my 5890 and swapped boxes. The GC's just can't talk to it and acts like it isn't there. Chemstation can tell when it is plugged in and out as it says detects autosampler power on. It had a lot of dust in it but I used a whole can of duster and same problem. Otherwise it lights up green and looks good. and can power the tray and injector.
14 posts Page 1 of 1